Hospital Based Scholarship question

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Hospital Based Scholarship question

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 11:51 pm
Hospital Based Scholarship question
I have a question and would appreciate any input. I am an LVN that currently works in an urgent care attached to a private hospital. I am doing an LVN to RN program and the hospital I work for has a stipend program. Their deal is this. During school if you work 4 12s in a two week pay period they will carry full benefits and give you a $300 stipend per pay period, as well as tuition and book reimbursement. In exchange you owe them the same amount of time for which you took the stipend ( with full pay) upon recieving your license. Has anyone taken advantage of this type of scholarship? How was it after recieving your license? My concern is that since I will owe them time, they will be able to place me anywhere they want (although they deny this happens). The stipend would really help me but is not absolutely necessary for survival during school for me. Any opinions?
Thanks

Ginger Snap

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 08:43 am
I've never used one of those programs, mainly because I always wanted the option to choose where I work. Suppose during your clinicals you find yourself in a specialty that you really love, but isn't something you can do with your current employer. When you graduate, you will have to wait until your obligation is completed before you can pursue your goal, or pay them the money back so that you can be free (and there are tax consequences for pursuing this course). However, if you are 100% sure that you will stay with your current employer after you graduate, then I see no issue with taking the stipend.

nursemadduck

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:14 am
Hospital Based Scolarship
I don't care if I have to work someplace the hospital places me. I need the help and also want to work.
I plan on doing this because my hospital will do the same and I will have to give them only 2 years to repay them. Yes I said only 2 years.
This is my opinion and only mine. It out weights my cost if I have to pay for it myself, it insures me that I will be working while I am in school and insures me a job once I have graduated. After that 2 years I can switch if I am not happy with the situation.
But I will have reached my goals and with help that I need.
No I don't know if they will keep their word at placeing me where I'd like to work, but I can endure it if necessary.
However I beleive they will keep their word because I will have to sign a contract, and it will spell out what they expect of me and what I will receive from them. Since it is a contract I don't think they will go back on their word. And of course I will read the fine print before I sign on the line.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Hospital Based Scholarship question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 10:16:50