Paramedic --> RN

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Paramedic --> RN

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:50 pm
Paramedic --> RN
I have been a Paramedic for 28 years and I am making the leap to RN. I need advice? I think I have most of the clinical, I have also been an ACLS PALS and CPR instructor for decades what should I concentrate on?

dmeyer

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 10:01 pm
medic to nursing
I have been a medic for about 14 years and made the transition about 3 years ago. Best decision you can do. As for what you need to concentrate on, my advice to you is don't let them know you are a paramedic and for your sake don't flaunt something you find very routiene. If you do that you will could be in for a very long 2 years. The paramedic field complements the nursing very nicely and you will soon see that your decision to go into nursing has opened a whole new field of opportunities. Good Luck!!

liraw3

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 12:15 am
paramedic jump
Get out of the paramedic mode, and listen to what veteren nurses tell you - it's a whole different ascpect of looking at the picture! Remember that you're now the 'new kid on the block'.

Ayrman

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 04:58 pm
I was (still retain an active cert) a Paramedic for 26 years before being forced into nursing by a line-of-duty accident. The advise you have been given is good and reflects my personal experience: don't let them know you are a medic.

EMS and nursing do not mesh well. Yes, you will have skills in place already but the mindsets are so different as to be nearly alien. Imagine a mass casualty scene where you are both triage and primary medic for 8 patients scattered down the road in seperate vehicles and you'll get an idea of what I mean. Now keep to your time limitations. IOW you must have everyone assessed, treated, and your documentation completed by X hour.

The money is better, no doubt there. The opportunities are much wider. But the pressure to conform to standards that seem arbitrary at best sometimes can be enormous. Just set your mind to learning "their" way of doing things and you'll have a much easier time.

Ayrman

cahess

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:55 am
The less said the better
I am a junior in an accelerated BSN program with 23 years experience in acute care as an ER social worker. We have several Paramedics in classes who started thinking this was going to be a repeat. They have not found that to be the case. As previous comments have indicated, nurses do it differently and you MUST do it the nursing way or fail. Nurses do not think highly from my observation of shortcuts. It will be difficult for you to unlearn but you must. My recommendation is focus on Pathophysiology- it is the basis of all courses and a soild understanding will carry you as you add details, learn the nursing way.

jenlenigar

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 07:31 am
Paramedic ----> RN
Did the same thing after being a medic for 14 years (and I am keeping up my certification). I agree with the others, don't let them know you are a medic if you can help it. Unfortunately, I had clinicals in the 2 hospitals that I transported to, so it didn't stay under wraps for long. What I found was that how your instructors receive you really depends on how you present yourself: let them know that you understand that some things are similar to nursing, but that the entire approach and focus of care is very different (and is it ever!). Fortunately, my clinical instructors worked well with that and as a result, I got the more challenging patients on the floor and had the opportunity to assist with teaching procedures, etc.

I also struggled with pathophysiology and the idea of the nursing diagnosis was very difficult to understand at first. Just try to take off your medic hat when you walk into the classroom. You don't necessarily have to unlearn anything, but be able to associate the new info with the new role, kinda like "This is what you need to know to pass Registry; now THIS is what you really need to know in the field." Good luck to you!

szethedayrn

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 07:49 am
Great advice.
Been a nurse for 27 years, all in acute care.
Keep your history hidden but use your knowledge to better care for your patients.
It's a whole new ball game now.
You will exceed in clinicals.
Actually I would agree on the choice of classes to concentrate on but I honestly think your major challenge will be to check the fighter pilot self at the door. In school and your first couple of years in practice.
Good luck

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Paramedic --> RN
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 04:41:17