Failure to Thrive

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Failure to Thrive

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

mbl2007

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:51 pm
Failure to Thrive
I have a FTT 21 month old daughter who I am trying to seek medical care for. Dr. wants to start with NG tube and then move to G tube. I am refusing the NG b/c I think it would be traumatic for her. Do you know of any docs whose protocol for G tube doesn't involve NG or am I asking for the impossible?

emma1 1

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 01:45 pm
Hi. With G tube im taking that to mean gastrostomy tube right? Surely an NG tube would be less traumatic in the long run, your daughter would have to go through surgery in order for them to place the gastrostomy tube. NG insertion isnt pleasant, no, but i think you should definately try that first. There are different types of NG tubes that can stay in place for longer to avoid constant replacement (unless of course it gets disodged or pulled out). Once the tube is in place it shouldn't cause her any problems. I doubt any doctor would go straight for a gastrostomy tube without trying this method of artificial feeding first. I understand it must be very stressful for you, and it is not nice to see your child go through procedures, but perhaps see how the NG feeding goes first. If it isn't solving the problem, then they may consider placing a gastrostomy, but i would think that would be in extreme cases. Hope she gets better soon Smile

javajess

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:35 pm
Bottom line, the results of malnutrition will be fair more devastating then an NGT. Placement will be traumatic, but kids that age will soon forget. Better for her to be healthy in the long run. I believe that the doctor probably wants to see how her GI system will handle enteral feedings before she is subjected to surgery for the Gastrostomy tube.

growlowbunch

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:49 pm
Inserting a g tube is surgery but it takes about 5 minutes I would definately go that route first. Reality is the doc already knows he wants a g tube so why bother with the ng first.

Born2RunRN

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 07:41 pm
While the surgery for G tube is relatively simple and does take less than 1/2 hour, it is after all is said and done, still surgery. The child will have to have some form of anesthesia even if just sedation which can be risky especially in an already ill child.
Secondly, there is a higher risk of infection from surgery. The NG probably isn't as traumatic as you think it will be, as the others said, once the NG is in place, it is very likely that she wont even relize it is there and shouldn't cause any discomfort to her after that. Also, as far as the traumatic aspect is concerned, the NG can be inserted in less than a minute.
That is all the advice I have. I just had to respond after seeing the response encouraging surgery as the first choice in what will hopefully be a short term problem.

Best of luck in your decision.

Denise

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Failure to Thrive
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:11:35