why is their so much back stabbing in nursing?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » why is their so much back stabbing in nursing?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 07:00 pm
why is their so much back stabbing in nursing?
it seems like if you get more than 4 woman together there's always
someone out of sorts with the other. i did have one job i worked at 15 yrs
ago on a busy med surg unit that all the nurses even opposites shifts
got along. we all considered each other sisters so if we snapped at someone
we didn't hold it against the person for 2000 years. now you're lucky to
make one close friend. and why is everyone so hard on the new nurse.
does it make us feel more secure to treat the new nurse like doo-doo.
does it happen just in nursing? how do you all put up with it?

soon2beRN

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 02:51 am
murphy......it happens EVERYWHERE no matter if you're a nurse or not.....before I became a nurse I worked in PLENTY of different office jobs (full of women) and everywhere I went it was the same sorry story.....alot of backstabbing !! Women are katty/catty (whatever) plain and simple and you're lucky if you can work with women who aren't. I've always been one to stay outta that mess which makes me along the "not so popular" list...but I'm cool with that. The job I have now isn't as bad which suprises me and I like it that way. I think some women have some sort of need to tear down other women for entertainment or to make themselves feel better.....I dunno. As far as treating the new nurse like doo-doo.....well, we dont do that on our floor but I can tell you it happens in the ICUs where I work.....even had one nurse say with a laugh....."well, you know we eat our young"........yeah, always something to be proud of Shocked

MickeyNURSE

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 02:59 pm
There's the MILLION DOLLAR question!!!
And here, my dear, is the 2-Bit answer:
Because we, as a group, have not accepted our own evolution into professionalism. Nurses, as a group, are still caught up in the quest to be the doctor's favorite, the family member's most friendly, the administrator/manager's most prized.
What I call "The Baracuda B*tch Syndrome" (back-biting, tearing each other down, and really setting out to get each other) will only end when nurses stand up and take responsibility for their profession as independent practitioners instead of competing for the spot of "this week's fair-haired child".

On a bigger scale, it's probably a female issue. Most women don't know their own value, except that they see it through someone else's eyes. Sad statement but oh so true.

pensacolabeach

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 09:49 pm
can't we all just get along?
Recently I attempted a job at 'the best hospital' in the area. I never seen such lazy nurses, they wouldn't get off their butt if the chair was on fire. I find it's hard to tend to patients and watch my back at the same time. I believe that the lack of professionalism could be part of it. Nurses are educated, adult, and have an awesome responsibility. The back stabbing is a sign of insecurity. Being former Army, I see my fellow nurses as I would see any Military Officer, and I expect them to act as such. But I must be dreaming.

vtach3333

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 10:37 pm
best way to get around that is to lead by example. I find that if I am cheerful and always willing to help others out they in turn eventually come around and are willing to help you out. It becomes contagious. I am a traveler and have used this for the past 5 years of traveling. it really works. I am always happy to help out . I get to work early and am even willing to help out the day shift if needed. I almost never have trouble finding help when I need it because I have helped other nurses out.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » why is their so much back stabbing in nursing?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 05:04:30