Can some one just give me advice on keeping focused?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Can some one just give me advice on keeping focused?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 12:21 pm
Can some one just give me advice on keeping focused?
Hello, I am a 22 years old and a single mother. I am now enrolled in pre nursing at my local community college. I get so motivated at the beginning of the term and them i get bored fast. I think it may because I am in all the pre courses which are the ENG, MAT, Beg BIO and this stuff seems to drag. But right now what keeps me going is reading about others in the same boat or the thought of haveing a good respectable job so that my son has what he needs. Is there any other advice you can give me on keeping focused and excited about becoming a nurse?

SharpknifeRN 1

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 10:37 am
It takes a while, but you will realize after some time on the job that all that stuff, especially the bio, psych and anatomy really does matter. So get encouraged and pay attention. You will need it sooner than you think. As for respect, nurses are seldom respected. Many of my pts got where they are by doing things nurses and doctors told them not to do, they still tell us infactially that we don't know what we are talking about. Untreated psych disorders are the great tragety of our time. This is why we come up with terms like "personality disorders". Of course sense people with mental problems are not as capable of taking care of themselves as others they spend a great deal of time in the hospital. Knowing your anatomy is a must. The general rule is "if you like your instructor your probably not being drilled hard enouph." I swear latter you will thank them. We do a lot more than push pills. Good luck.

Amber82

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 04:22 pm
Hey Cake, I know what you mean. In the beginning its hard, you feel like youre a lifetime away from where you want to be and you really just want to hurry up through your pre-reqs. Its normal. For me setting goals for yourself and being sure to keep them is really motivating. I decide what grade I want in a class before I start and what I want to learn. I really hold myself to it. I just keep working towards my goals.

murphy46

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 05:59 pm
if your grades aren't high enough you may not be able to get in the school
or back up school you want. there is a long waiting list of applicants at
alot of the schools and if you say get a c- in a course that your nursing
school will only give you a credit for if it's c+ or higher you'll have to retake
that course again. it's so political i can't understand why some schools
make things so hard. so be on your toes and don't lose focus. becareful
you're not taking too many courses at once. it sounds like your homelife
is busy enough. better to take the course once otherwise it would be harder
to focus knowing you've been there done that already. good luck!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Can some one just give me advice on keeping focused?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 12:12:24