Noc Shift

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Noc Shift

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 11:59 am
Noc Shift
i like working the noc shift but i wish the other shifts had respect for us. alot of the other shifts think we do nothing. they think the residents sleep all night long. they must think they change themselves never get wet or have a bm or go to the
bathroom by themselves. the supplies like gloves, wipes, soaps and lotions must walk in the rooms. the food that is hardened on the wheelchairs must be eaten off by mice. when the resident is sad or lonely a suppose a psychiatrist is just waiting to give them a little tlc. lastly what about the sleep patterns we must adapt to. how many of you would like to try our shift for a month, you may learn to have a little respect for us.

jhals

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 07:07 pm
respect
Its been like that for thirty years. Why should you care what another shift thinks. The few times I have worked days it has been so easy, nights bathe the patients, dietary passes and picks up the trays. I write down vitals and talk to the visitors and doctors. I don't particullary like working days. You must be very young if you are worried about getting respect from people you see for 30 minutes twice a day. You should be worried about getting respect from your night co workers and the doctors you wake up and your patients.

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 11:27 am
i am not young. what i am trying to get across is the fact that every shift should have respect for what each shift does. we are all part of a team. i see the dayshift more than a half hour a day it is usually 2 hours or more. i have helped them get residents dressed, showered them and fed them. there are times when they are short handed and i have been on the clock for 12 hours or more. i enjoy my work alot and don't mind helping and as for having the respect from noc shift they do respect me. i went on call for a short time and everyone was thankful when i came back to fulltime. i worked on a station for 3 years where the dayshift did have respect. they moved me to another station in jan and it is very difficult to get any teamwork or respect from the girls who work on that floor. maybe i am expecting too much.

kimmiejs

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 01:08 pm
Re: respect
jhals wrote:
Its been like that for thirty years. Why should you care what another shift thinks. The few times I have worked days it has been so easy, nights bathe the patients, dietary passes and picks up the trays. I write down vitals and talk to the visitors and doctors. I don't particullary like working days. You must be very young if you are worried about getting respect from people you see for 30 minutes twice a day. You should be worried about getting respect from your night co workers and the doctors you wake up and your patients.

I don't know where you have worked days but you have not described days at my hospital or any other one in this area. With the exception of the ICU 95% of patients get a bath on day shift. Yes the kitchen might pass out the trays but it is the nursing staff that feeds the patients that can not feed themselves or gets the patient situated so they can eat. That does take time. I have never said night shift wasn't busy. I have worked both shifts. Days bar none is the busiest. Rolling Eyes

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Noc Shift
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:18:45