Wannabe Nurse - advice please

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Wannabe Nurse - advice please

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 11:39 am
Wannabe Nurse - advice please
Hello there,

My name is Rosie and I am a single mother who is interested in training to become a Nurse. I know that to train will be a big commitment and a great deal of time and hard work - I would like to hear from some other single parent nurses who have gone through the process and get some advice on what is best to do. I know that this is something I really want to do but obviously my daughter is the first priority and I want to be able to commit fully to her needs as well as my training. It would be great to hear any wise or encouraging words from anyone

kind Regards
Rosie Very Happy

K Harbour

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 03:30 pm
going to nursing school
Hi Rosie, I did that very thing when my 2 children were young, pre-school and kindergarten ages, It has been the single best decision I ever made. Yes it was difficult but well worth the effort. Laughing Good luck1 Kay ;-)

luvnursing

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 03:22 pm
wanna be nurse
Hi Rosie, I really hope you choose to do this. I was a single parent of a 5 and 8 yr old. Went to school full time and studied at night after they went to bed, usally around 8PM. I also had to work part time to make ends meet. There are usually programs to help fund your education especially if you are single parent and have low income.
They pay for education, child care while at school, books and uniforms. I didn't qualify for these but knew others who did. You need to contact the county in which you reside to inquire about such programs, also the school that you want to attend. There are also state grants, such as PELL grant that give you funds according to your income. Another area to look is military, especially if your father is a veteran. I wish you the best luck, I don't have a single regret, and absolutly love nursing. Very Happy

terrialex

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:29 pm
Thinking about school
Hi Rosie---Just a note of encouragement. I was a single mom when I entered nursing school. I kept saying I could not do it but others around me said I could. I said to my dad, "do you know how old I am going to be when I graduate? THIRTY-FIVE!!!" He said, "you are going to be that age anyway." He was right. The time was going to go by anyway and I may as well be graduating with a degree instead of making minimum wage. I applied for everything offered to single mothers and was even on food stamps and received a welfare check for awhile. I figured I put tax money into the system for a long time so I did not feel bad getting some back for a short time. Now I pay more in taxes in one week than I previously made in a month!!!! God has been so good in giving me a career that not only helps others but provided well for my son. Now, I have a grandson to spoil!!
Hang in there Rosie and remember, nursing school is like boot camp. It won't last forever!!!
Terri A, RNC :wink:

Deelicious

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 08:26 pm
You won't be sorry that you decided to do it...AS LONG AS you are willing to forget about the life you know it until you're done with school. The nursing classes need your undevided attention, but it is POSSIBLE!!! You can do it!!! I just finished up with my nursing classes, passed the NCLEX, and I have started working. You will have a wonderful feeling about yourself when you are through. This is a rewarding profession...even when the Doc's yell at you. Your self esteem gets a major boost when you start working as a nurse!! Good luck...and if you are able...GIVE IT A TRY!! You can do it.

Licious

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Wannabe Nurse - advice please
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:28:53