Premie's

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Premie's

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 05:58 pm
Premie's
Any NICU or OB nurses out there ?? Got a question...my sister is a 32+ weeker and is having contractions. She's inpt now getting procardia and the 2 IM shots to develop the baby's lungs.....a friend of mine said they only do that if its a BOY ?? Is there any truth to that? I've heard girl premie's do better than boys, but never the rumor of the steroid injections being related to BOYS....of course we have no idea what the sex of the baby is..but I was curious if thats just a crazy rumor or coincidence or what?
We're hoping the bun can bake another week and a half before she delivers....so she'll be a 34 weeker. They U/S the baby today and its 4pounds 1 oz...so not too scary in terms of "tiny".

Ginger Snap

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 06:17 pm
LOL, there's no truth to that whatsoever. They don't check the sex of the baby before giving the shots, but they sometimes do check something called the Fetal Lung Maturity (FLM) or LS/PG ratio. Those tests help the doctor decide if the shot is even needed at all.

soon2beRN

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 09:05 pm
I didnt think that made much sense, but I thought I'd ask anyway....lol.
Thanks for the reply !!

gwqueeen

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 07:15 am
Now I've heard it all!
I've worked OB for more than a few years and am currently in the neonatal intensive care. Your sister is lucky. 32 weeks is usually the cut off for the steroid injections so she made it in under the wire. The sex of the baby doesn't have a thing to do with it either. As for girl preemies versus boy preemies, I don't believe there are any official studies but you can ask any NICU nurse and they'll tell you girls generally fare better than boys. I wish her well. Tell her to hang in there.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Premie's
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:58:33