Should I or shouldn't I?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Should I or shouldn't I?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 02:23 pm
Should I or shouldn't I?
I'm 47 years old with an associate degree and have been tossing the idea around of returning to get my BSN for a couple of years now. Every time I get close to enrolling, I begin second guessing myself. Why am I doing this? What exactly will this degree get me except more hours to work? My children are grown and my husband and I have no debt (house is paid off and cars are paid for). Considering the years I have left in nursing, I'm just not sure what to do. By the way, I currently work 12 hour night shifts in a Level 3 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Any advice?

SharpknifeRN 1

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 04:43 pm
hi, I don't know, I am asking the same question. I have my AS in nursing and an AA, with some classes towards BSN. Motivation is difficult in ones 40's. Let me know if you find it. On the other hand I can't immagine working in neonates. Presure must be intense? How could it get any worse for you? Worst comes to worst you sound like a good teacher. With out a masters I dought they would let you do lecture, but I bet they would be glad of you for clinicals. You should consider it. You could probably teach LPN's now. Good Luck.

Ginger Snap

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 05:17 pm
Well, both of you have to decide on your long-term goals. Age isn't a factor in the decision. Don't know about the state you practice in, but the average age of a nurse in my state is 49, so that's not the limiting factor here. It's whether or not I want the degree, and if I think it will help me achieve my personal/career goals.

If you're happy with your current job, and have no aspirations beyond the staff nurse role, and if carrying the BSN title isn't that important to you (and for some people it is not), then don't do it. But for you Sharpknife, it's imperative, because you say you want to break into management, and that BSN is essential. Where I live, it's hard to be considered for any management positions without at least a Master's degree (they'll take you into a management position with NO PREVIOUS MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE, if you can show them that MSN or MBA). You are suffering a lot of career dissatisfaction and frustration because you won't suck it up and just do it. Get the damn thing over with, and you'll find A LOT more opportunities available to you.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Should I or shouldn't I?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 01:14:36