I start work on Monday

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » I start work on Monday

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 02:19 pm
I start work on Monday
I'm starting work on Monday at a nursing home as a trainee care assistant. The manager isn't a very nice person, she's taking me on for a 2 day trial from 10am - 2pm. As I'm doing my NVQ in Health Care there will be someone watching me all the time. I'm a very shy and nervous person, and having someone watch me all the time doesn't help. I'm just wondering if anyone would give me advice about how to overcome this? I know everyone is nervous in new jobs.

I appreciate any info. Thanks!

Martina 1

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 03:48 pm
Well, work was a disaster. The other care assistants were not that nice. As I'm only in training I haven't a clue what to do. Everyone just left me standing. I'm really disappointed! Crying or Very sad Have to go back tomorrow, what fun Sad I didn't mind the work, but its just the people.

quinnlynn2

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 08:18 pm
take a deep breath....
I work as a nurse preceptor and have seen just about every kind of new nurse....some are good , some well..... I think that the most important thing is to remember you are not there to change her life, but more than likely on that given day you could make a huge impression on your patients. I am always impressed with those new nurses you do not try to impress me, the ones that get so caught up in being a nurse they forget that I am watching every move they make. GOOD LUCK!!! Q.

Jo079

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 11:10 am
improvement??
hi, hope your new job has improved. I have been a health carer for many years and have just completed 3 years as a student nurse and am now qualified. I find that in a new placement or working environment, always seem interested and always ask questions, never struggle as your patients will suffer and that is not good. it will get easier as days go on, you are there for your patients not to get on with every one. enjoy, i do XX

topout

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 02:47 pm
Martina - Sorry it was rough to start. Did your opinion change?

Martina wrote:
Well, work was a disaster. The other care assistants were not that nice. As I'm only in training I haven't a clue what to do. Everyone just left me standing. I'm really disappointed! Crying or Very sad Have to go back tomorrow, what fun Sad I didn't mind the work, but its just the people.

Martina 1

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 02:16 pm
No, I'm afraid I packed it in. Back to retail for the time being. I'm not totally giving up on nursing as it's what I REALLY want to do, but I just need to think of another way round it Confused

Ginger Snap

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 07:35 pm
Well, the hard cold truth is that you have to toughen up a bit. Not everyone is going to be nice to you and hold your hand. You have to show some initiative by digging in and helping without being told what to do. There's always a bed that needs to be made, or ice water to pass, or resident to shave or someone needs help combing their hair or getting dressed or eating. So you should be thinking "What can I do to be of assistance here?" That will go a long way towards improving your relationships with your co-workers and your manager.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » I start work on Monday
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:46:44