Breaking a contract..resign or be dismissed?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Breaking a contract..resign or be dismissed?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

tm1955

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:12 am
Breaking a contract..resign or be dismissed?
I was hired 5 mts ago at a hospital here(Oakland)..I received $13320($8000 net)..unfortunatetly I signed a 2yr contract..I now hate my job..dislike the particular patient population(druggies)..I'm receiving a 2nd disciplinary action today..and because of the disciplinary action..I cannot transfer to another ward,flloor etc..TRAPPED!..I'd like to resign but cannot pay back the $13320 plus interest,etc or should I let them dismiss me..don't know ..has anyone else out here broken their contract,how did they repay,etc..please help with some advice

Desperate
Toby Confused

Ginger Snap

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:03 pm
A contract is a contract. Unless your employer is willing to settle with you, I wouldn't quit, because of the tax consequences. If they fire you, then they have to negotiate a settlement with you on the $13320, and in all likelihood, the IRS will still keep the tax money they have collected on this money.

This is the type of situation where seeking legal advice would be beneficial. If you really want out badly enough, and your employer is unhappy with you, then maybe you can work something out. Otherwise, you are going to have do some serious soul-searching about how to make peace with the situation.

kimmiejs

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:27 pm
Re: Breaking a contract..resign or be dismissed?
tm1955 wrote:
I was hired 5 mts ago at a hospital here(Oakland)..I received $13320($8000 net)..unfortunatetly I signed a 2yr contract..I now hate my job..dislike the particular patient population(druggies)..I'm receiving a 2nd disciplinary action today..and because of the disciplinary action..I cannot transfer to another ward,flloor etc..TRAPPED!..I'd like to resign but cannot pay back the $13320 plus interest,etc or should I let them dismiss me..don't know ..has anyone else out here broken their contract,how did they repay,etc..please help with some advice

Desperate
Toby Confused

Many hospitals will actually pay off your contract for you. The only problem is this means you will sign another contract Always be careful about taking sign-on bonuses. I can't think of many nurses that I know that would agree to a 2 year contract. Sorry about your unfortunate set of circumstances. I hope things improve for you Surprised

sdrn

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 10:21 am
Contract
I have been there; done that. If I were you, I would finish out your contract and try to avoid any other disciplinary actions. Go to work with a smile on your face, do your job well and there will be nothing they can do. Unfortunately, I signed a 2 year agreement and broke the contract before the 2 yrs. I had to pay back half of the money, which came out of my PTO time. If I had it to do over again, I would have worked the entire contract. Another thing, if they have filed disciplinary actions against you, that will follow you EVERYWHERE you go. You could potentially really harm your career by "letting them fire" you. Big mistake!!!! Do not give them the satisfaction. Also, I have learned in my short career how nurses love to stick it to one another. Believe me, when people call for a reference, they will get the entire scoop on you (which they are not suppose to, but they do) AND... even if what they are saying is bad and not the truth, it will still be said and will affect your future jobs. Just be careful how you handle this. Do not give them anything negative to feed off of once you are gone.

murphy46

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 05:37 pm
list factors such as stress, and depression maybe you
need a dr.'s statement to back up what the job is doing to you. your not
wanting to quit just change units. list the physical and emotional sx you
are having then i would check with human resources anony to see if they
could help in a what if situation maybe even calling other human resources
offices at other hospitals to see how they would handle it. also most hospitals
now a days are partnered with other facilities so their maybe a need at another facility. it sounds like your supervisor is unsympathetic which is not
good if it's a psych unit your working on. i mean she should know about
burnout! you may need to talk to an attorney who specializes in employment. i'm not sure if you have the time in to qualify for fmla but
your dr. can help with you submitting the paper work. do all this first and
then if you think you need to ask an attorney go in for a consult. you'll
have more to bargain with when you have all this info under your belt.
good luck!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Breaking a contract..resign or be dismissed?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 07:03:49