1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Charge Nurse

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

missy33

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 10:18 am
Charge Nurse
Hi there!
I am new to this forum. I was wondering if there are any Charge Nurses out there who can give me some info on their jobs?

We are looking at re-structuring our Charge Nurse position and I was the lucky sole who was asked to do some research.

I am looking for pt assignment numbers per shift if any, and other duties to be completed during each shift. I would really appreciate it and would be willing to share info.

Thanks!! Very Happy

kimmiejs

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:38 pm
We no longer have a charge nurse, we now have "Senior Nurse" which is one big headache. We still have the same number of patients as everyone else but we make patient assignments, take care of problems on the floor, obtain rooms for admissions and just trouble shoot whenever there is a problem. I miss the good days when the charge nurse basically would supervise the shift, take off orders, make rounds with physicians, help out with admissions and discharges. I know the doctors have made comments about not having anyone available to make rounds with them since they did away with the charge nurse on the floors Rolling Eyes

pstan

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 01:18 am
Charge Nurse
Hello
I currently work in a 14 bed ICU, having previously worked in a CVRR-Open heart unit, as charge. I have always taken patients. However I am looking into a position at another hospital where you do not take patients. I enjoy the patient care aspect, however the flexability of being able to assist other nurses, as well as being able to spend time with the patients, is appealing. I have my BSN and enjoy education aimed at empowering my patients. Discussion with patients with regard to plan-of-care, and treatment options, creates a satisfied patient. After all now people do have a choice where they will gain health care. Having the time to speak with a patient unhurried and able to answer questions and eleviate fears truly makes a patients stress drop. So I guess I am an advocate of no patient loads for charge nurses. Hope this helps.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Charge Nurse
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 06:17:04