1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Nursing Assignment

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Jelpick

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 05:35 pm
Nursing Assignment
Hi Friends,

Is anyone interested in helping me with an assignment question? I am a third year nursing student in Australi

How would you administer an IV antibiotic which is incompatible with the concurrent infusion solution? Would you check the patency of the infusion by observing the site for redness and swelling, administer a normal saline flush of 10mL, administer the antibiotic over 3-5 minutes (depending on the instructions) and then quickly flush the line with 10mL sterile water before recommencing the infusion? Or would you do something different? Do you know of any good sources, ie recent books or articles which would give good support to your answers?

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,
Jane

kimmiejs

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 07:50 pm
This is a good question. As a RN you will find this is not an uncommon situation. A good example of this would be a patient who is on multiple IVABS that has to receive blood. Since stopping the blood transfusion or skipping antibiotics is really not in the best interest of the patient I would suggest establishing another IV site or getting the patient's MD to order a central line be placed.

What part of Australia are you located? I am moving back to Perth at the end of the year. I have been a RN for over 12 years now and my experience as a RN in Perth was by far the best. I can't wait to see all my mates again at the end of the year.

Cheers and good luck to you in your studies. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Jelpick

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 05:58 pm
Thanks for help
Thanks for that assistance. Do you know what sources I could look up to support my answer of this question?

I am in Adelaide, studying at Flinders University. I have this supplementary assignment which I am doing for a subject from last semester. I also have two topics I am endeavouring to complete this semester, plus I am having a baby in October, so life is a bit busy.

I would very much like to keep in touch and toss around nursing stories and just life stuff, if you would like to. Where are you at the moment? I have visited Perth just once, in 2000. I thought it was a lovely city and would certainly move there if the opportunity arose. My husband Jon, son Joel and I have all kinds of aspirations.

Nice to hear from you,

Jane

kimmiejs

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 09:09 pm
I will keep looking, starting a second IV so that medications will not be missed was something my first nursing manager taught me to do. With her she believed short cuts always jeopardized patient safety. I will see if I can come up with any info for you on this.

Currently I am in the USA living in a city about 60 miles south of Atlanta called Macon. I have also lived in Savannah Georgia which is right on the east coast of Georgia.

I have twin daughters that will be 6 in November so I know how a baby can make life very busy. I am sure you will be fine.

Perth is a great city. II have found nursing in Australia to be way different from nursing here in the USA. There is not quite so much competitiveness amongst nurses over there. My experience in Perth was by far my best as a nurse.

It will be great to keep in touch with you. Once we move back to Perth maybe we can look each other up and have a cuppa or even better a beer or two.

Cheers mate Smile

Ginger Snap

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 10:02 pm
I think the ""textbook" answer is to administer normal saline before and after the antibiotic.

Starting a second line is good practice when you will run two incompatible infusions at the same time. Having more than one line is also a good choice when you have an unstable patient (someone who is bleeding out, for example) who requires multiple infusions of blood.

Placing a central line or PICC line is a good choice in cases where you expect to run IVs over periods of several weeks or months, or when you anticipate multiple blood draws. It's also a good choice when people have delicate veins that won't tolerate the irritation of multiple solutions. When people receive multiple drugs/solutions, veins can blow pretty quickly, resulting in multiple sticks for the patient.

Jelpick

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:56 am
Thanks
Thanks Ginger Snap,

Where are you nursing? Would be nice to start some kind of correspondence.

Bmw22822

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 07:20 am
I would just start a second line and make sure not to overload the pt with fluid. A central line if the doc will do it is another good choice, depending on the ilness and the length of stay.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Nursing Assignment
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/26/2024 at 04:45:22