1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Doctor, 2 nurses allegedly killed patients with lethal drug

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

NurseML

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 06:27 pm
Doctor, 2 nurses allegedly killed patients with lethal drug
Hi everyone,

Tell us what you think about this news.....

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/07/18/hospital.deaths/index.html

Ginger Snap

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 12:49 am
Which case are you refering to?

If you are talking about the incident with Hurricane Katrina, then I think you have an overzealous prosecutor. It sounds to me like they were trying alleviate pain and suffering among the dying by administering appropriate pain meds . . . last time I checked that is a legitimate role for doctors and nurses.

Head Nurse

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 12:00 pm
Sorry... Ginger Snap. Forgot to post the link to the article.
I added it to the first post but here it is again.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/07/18/hospital.deaths/index.html

rascal

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:11 pm
hasnt new orleans suffered enough? if i was a patient, i sure would of appreciated pain meds to help me -- if i needed them !!
sorry, but dont those investigators have better things to do?
that is definately something to pray about. God help those nurses

kimmiejs

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 05:56 pm
I think in the end the nurses and doctors will be cleared of all charges. The unfortunate thing is in the end their reputations will be tarnished and emotional trauma they endured will stay with them for years.

People have to remember the circumstances they found themselves in:

*It was hot and humid without electricity for air conditioning or to run fans.

* There was contaminated water all around them which probably was a breeding ground for mosquitos bacteria and viruses.

* There was no clean water to drink, prepare food, to perform daily ADLs.

* Food was scarce, and we all know in order for patients to be able to fight off infections they need proteins, whether this comes from PO intake, tube feeds or IV as TPN.

* Medications were becoming scarce. Many medications must be refrigerated. Those that do not have to be refrigerated must be stored at room temperature. As a result of lack of electricity many medications were not kept at optimum temperature therefore their chemical properties changed and they lost their effectiveness.

These nurses and doctors stayed with their patients, they did not abandon them. The deaths of these patients lies with FEMA, local and state government. Once again the people that stayed to care for people when everyone else had bailed became the scapegoats.

reginagrasseschisbcgloba

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:50 pm
Katrina nurse's and physicians
The lawsuits brought toward these nurse's and physician are shameful. I read an article in People magazine about this.

It is very easy for some people to criticize and sensationalize this tragedy. These nurses and physician worked under the most difficult of circumstances, and I am sure they did their best. They stayed, when others left.

In an Emergency situation, there will be deaths. Not everyone will be able to receive the healthcare they would under normal conditions, and in a stable healthcare enviornment. Patients are triaged according to injury, illness, age, and the ability to deliver that care.

Even though the physician and nurses are most likely innocent, the persons who brought forth these charges may get what they really want...and that is money.

Help me 101

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 06:16 pm
Re: my brother has horrable exema
it all started when he was young , he had bad exema he couldnt take a bath with out crying, then it started going away but then then he started getting somthing on his feet he cant walk with out crying i need help Exclamation

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Doctor, 2 nurses allegedly killed patients with lethal drug
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:53:27