I have a strange question about Nursing shoes

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » I have a strange question about Nursing shoes

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 11:01 am
I have a strange question about Nursing shoes
I have the worst feet in the world and I had to pick nursing. I have tried so many different shoes and I cannot find one that doesn't result in me having aching throbbing feet after a 12hour shift! I have worn skechers, nursemates, you name it!

Please - I could use some suggestions from people who may have experieinced the same thing! It is my feet that hurt - not my back so it makes me think that I need a soft/supportive shoe. I am also very prone to blisters on my heels.

khoward73

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:39 pm
The same thing happens to me. I use NB. It seems to work for me. There are still times when I wake up the next day that my feet feel like pins and needles through my heels. But I am tolerating the shift alot better than I was wearing Reebok, Sketcher, or NurseMates, etc.

Hope this helps.

soon2beRN

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 10:11 pm
CROCS !! I swear by them !! Most of the nurses wear them on my floor....I'm overweight, new to nursing and it took me a couple tries at finding a comfortable pair of shoes that wouldn't kill my feet/legs/back by the end of my shift......you can buy them at any Hallmark store....they run about $30 a pair and are not that attractive but they work !! They are so lightweight its unbelievable.....they're wide width which I need too. On the website you can order all different kids of Crocs, even some for diabetic feet !! I have 3 pairs of the Cayman style shoe...and I'm ordering a pair of the Aspen style b/c its more of a closed shoe...those are hard to find in stores. The website is a little more expensive than buying them at Hallmark but you have the variety online....oh, I also found a pair that might work for you....they're called "relief" style.( They have "knock off" brands at Walmart, Walgreens, etc, but I'm not sure they're as comfortable)

....here's the link.....

http://www.crocs.com/home.jsp

ljane05

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 10:44 pm
I use the Nike Shox now, have for about 8-9 months. And I've had literally no pain in my feet, legs or back since. Before that I was coming home for an easy shift hardly able to move because of feet up to my lower back. I was using Rockers, etc and needing a new pair every 3-4 months if I made it that long. My chiropractor even said I needed new shoes!

mvanderlaan

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 10:08 am
I have THREE bone spurs on EACH heel. This caused plantar fashitis on both feet at the same time. I was buying new shoes every week and it only got worse - I could barely drive my car. I had to hold my feet off of the car's floor and drive with one great toe. It felt like I was walking on burning hot coals across the entire bottom of both feet! My doctors wanted me to have inserts made for my shoes but I could not afford the $750 out of pocket expense.
I bought CROCS and have been in heaven ever since. The spurs are still there but they do not hurt when I have my crocs on. I once worked fourteen twelves in a row with those on my feet and never felt any pain. Now I only have pain when I wear any other shoes for two days in a row. Others tell me that they help leg and back pain as well.
I have worn the same pair of CROCS for over a year and they are still going strong - I freguently wear them at home and out and about - Ugly, Yes, Comfortable, Extremely!!!! They are the rage in every institution in my area - staff, nursing home patients, and visitors - even kids are wearing them in Michigan! They are beginning to be "the rage".

FYI: I have been soaking my feet in epsom salt for the past two months - I had heard that it would dissolve the spurs. I didn't believe it would work but I can't afford to have them removed, so I tried it. I have not had x-rays to confirm, but it has helped immensely!! Maybe, it just keeps down the imflamation.

rn01

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 11:35 am
I had the same problem with my feet and lower back. I switched to CROCS and it made a huge difference. They are wonderful shoes and i swear by them. I have also heard good things about Birkenstock, but i am happy with my CROCS.

ladybugnurse

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 02:17 am
Re: I have a strange question about Nursing shoes
I totally, absolutely agree, CROCS are wonderful. I literally own every 7 different colors and I am going this week to get the others. I love them!
Back pain, knee pain, foot pain GONE! I am on my feet my whole shift and I would have to prop my ankles up so the heels of my feet wouldn't be touching anything just to go to sleep and my feet would still throb. But now, I don't leave home without them. I can't even wear my tennis shoes anymore, I tried them the other day and I had them on for about ten minutes and took them off! I love my CROCS!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » I have a strange question about Nursing shoes
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 12:47:30