Current Generation Nurses Vs. Previous Generation

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Current Generation Nurses Vs. Previous Generation

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 12:24 pm
Current Generation Nurses Vs. Previous Generation
How is the current generation of nurses different from the previous generation? I have a lot of respect for those who paved the way for us. I would assume that today's technology makes practicing simpler, but that the job is now more stressful than before.

Ginger Snap

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 02:35 pm
Unrealistic expectations. Just went on a job interview, and the hiring manager said "These new nurses come in and say 'I want Monday - through Friday and I won't work nights, weekends or holidays.' So I tell them, sorry, I don't have any of those kinds of jobs, and they're surprised that I don't want to interview them."

eastcoastrn

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 03:13 pm
Ginger Snap wrote:
Unrealistic expectations. Just went on a job interview, and the hiring manager said "These new nurses come in and say 'I want Monday - through Friday and I won't work nights, weekends or holidays.' So I tell them, sorry, I don't have any of those kinds of jobs, and they're surprised that I don't want to interview them."

I'm not sure how this has anything to do with my comment. I was saying that todays medical tools make it easier on the nurse, lets say to diagnoise a patient.

Ginger Snap

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 03:23 pm
Quote:
I was saying that todays medical tools make it easier on the nurse, lets say to diagnoise a patient

Ok, so a young nurse has his/her focus on the technololgy & equipment and not the patient.

Example: Patient has a fever of 103.

New Nurse: Let's get a cooling blanket.

Patient's temp continues to rise despite the aggressive use of the cooling blanket.

Old Nurse: Let's do sponge baths and pack the patient in ice.

bowlerrn

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 09:20 am
new vs old nurses
I would have to agree all of the technology takes away from looking at the person behind all the numbers. Now when we type in all of our assessment data directly into the computer at the bedside we hardly have time to touch the patient any more. I would prefer to use my knowledge and skills than rely on technology.

mysticmama

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:19 pm
two types of nurses
I also understand the old school and new nurses in the same work place. I think technology is a crutch but allow us to help our patients. The old school nurses take more time and have different standards of care, such as back rubs, listen to them and are always on the go with the little things. Us the new generation knows technology, we have books and different training. The path the older nurse made for us is well appriceitated. We should both respect eachother and learn to work together.

bowlerrn

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 08:29 pm
Current Generation VS older generation
I enjoy the technology as well as my old ways. I have adapted and embraced the technology, I just think that being at the bedside makes the patient feel so much more connected. We sometimes forget the need for touch and human companionship.

maggie5194

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:50 pm
difference in new nurses vs/"Old"
Well, I've been a nurse for over 40 yrs and am as old as dirt! I've done everything from Hosps/sub abuse/LTC and Nursing home admin. Currently I work part time in Long Term Care. in a new State (one yr) Alabama. Oh My Gosh!! I think I have entered the twilight zone! I've always noticed that the older more experience nurses have a ton of info and lots they have forgotten. But....not here! I have never met so many older nurses that I am wondering "What crackerjack box did you get your license from?" It truly is cover your as_. Scary And, if you haven't worked long term care, I beg you old nurses DON'T START NOW!! A lot of the older nurses here think LTC is asnap...Well, it's very difficult with tons of fed regs and extremely poorly staffed. You think hospital nursing has changed??? Godd luck in LTC.! I know I sound dimal here, but this is reality. I wrk with some great people and helpful CNA's, but Mgmt is usually preoccupied unless is is something that will get them sited. Well, enought of the depressing stuff. Just blowing off a little steam at the sad situatuin at most ltc's. Mag

AngelWINGS 1

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:26 am
new generation?
Nursing is the type of career that moves with the times with past generation nurses educating new nurses on essential skills and all nurses learning new skills and technologies. Both new and older generation nurses bring skills to one another and to the comment about unrealistic expectations both old and new generations have these. each person is individual.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Current Generation Nurses Vs. Previous Generation
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:36:17