how long will the nursing shortage last?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » how long will the nursing shortage last?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

km 1

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 02:04 pm
how long will the nursing shortage last?
Is the government currently doing anything to fix the nursing shortage? I am under the impression that we basically lack the funds to pay a nurses salary, but because of the type of work nurses will not work for less. Am I correct? There are plenty of international nurses who want to work, but our government can't let them come in cause they might jeopardize other's employment opportunities. Sounds like a big mess to me.

Ginger Snap

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 03:08 pm
Quote:
Is the government currently doing anything to fix the nursing shortage?

What specifically do you want the government to do? You can't force people to go to nursing school, and you can't force people to work under some of the conditions that many RNs find themselves. You can make similar (if not better) salaries doing other things without the stress and aggravation.

Do you want the government to make nursing school free? Do you want to lower the standards for the entrance into nursing school? Do you want nurses to work with more CNAs and techs?

Foreign nurses are not necessarily the answer. Do you want to see your salary fall because healthcare facilities can hire cheaper alternatives?

km 1

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 09:25 am
I am under the impression that there are nurses but not enough funds to pay them. Now maybe I'm wrong, but if not then the government needs to increase the funding for the health industry.

Scott Bushey

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 09:32 am
Hospitals have had to resort to paying agency nurses to staff facilities. It is cheaper across the board to function like this. Unfortunately, continuity of care is a concern. My two cents; I believe staffing will go to agency in the near future. The last generation of staff nurses are in place. After that, the up and coming generations are not going to stand for or tolerate the payscales and conditions presently in place. They will just go to outpatient settings and non hands on nursing.

I believe they should train, 'in-house' LPN/LVN's and let them challenge the boards after being precepted for a season. The salary incentives and registration will increase the desire to be in a hospital setting. This is how nurses were registered in the past.

southernamazon1957

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:59 pm
Nursing shortage
The government has nothing to do with fulfilling the nursing shortage that has been apparent in the US since the 1970's.
As for the foreign nurses wanting to come here and work, well all they have to do from what I understand, is meet the strict criteria that all nurses have met that currently work in the US.
Just as with the rumor that the "LPN's are in the process of being phased out", "The nursing shortage will soon be iradicated". It maybe coming, but, I don't think I will see it in my life time. :wink:

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » how long will the nursing shortage last?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 02:59:23