another stressed student

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » another stressed student

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

sky 1

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 11:47 am
another stressed student
Hey i am a new first year student and i have been given my two long essay 2500 words each. Can anybody help me its patient focussed and self awareness on therapeutic relationship, i feel quite lost due to drunken lecturers
thanks
Sky
xx

lpnlimbo

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 11:35 am
Drunken lectures?
Confused Not quite sure what you mean by "drunken lectures", but I will tell you that whenever it came to writting essays, I absolutely loved them as well as doing research too! If you are to write about focusing on the patient while building trust between you and your patient then you can start from the very beginning when you introduce yourself to the patient. I always think it's a good thing whenever you mention your patient by name or as a person verses just another "patient" and give them some sort of personal identity. This shows your compassion and caring in the nursing field. Another point to mention if I'm the one writting the paper is to somehow point out what your patient's feelings are in the hospital setting or nursing home setting is. Meaning if the patient is scared, nervous, upset, angry about the situation etc. I would intertwine whatever lessons you have covered in class recently in your paper to show that you can practically apply these things in the real world of nursing. Say you have already covered cultural diversity in the medical setting, you can take that into consideration as well depending on what culture your patient is from. I would stress empathy verses sympathy in my paper as well. Remember, good writting skills pay off here big time. If it adds more points to write more than the bare minimum of 2500 words for each paper I would do that too, it will show your instructors that you are interested in building relationships with your patients and it usually really does when you put that much time and effort into the research yourself. I hope you enjoy writting your papers as much as I did in nursing school and I hope you get alot out of them as well. Look at it in the way that it's time your allowed to take out and really reflect on what your doing and learning in school right now and so far. Take the time to think about what it's really going to be like in front of a real patient your trying to build trust up with. Think about how your going to react to patients that aren't so "nice" or say or do things that go against your personal grain. Try to really empathize with their situations and listen very carefully to what your patients are really trying to say to you. I believe that most patients are pretty direct when they say something to their nurse. But then again, there are the few that are not and you need to sort of take the time to reflect on their behavior and what they say because it could be that they are embarrassed about their situation or scared about what's going on with them or whatever the reason. For instance, I think that whenever I have an angry patient it's usually not me they are angry at, it's their diagnosis or the fact that their feeling loss of control over themselves and their lives and find themselves for the first time not in charge of their situations and lonely. It's a very fustrating thing to find yourself in some of these peoples situations. Whatever you write I hope look into the perspectives of the lives you will touch! Good Luck!!!! Very Happy

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » another stressed student
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.12 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 03:26:55