Transition to OR nursing

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Transition to OR nursing

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 01:20 pm
Transition to OR nursing
I have 1 yr ICU, 2 yrs. Stepdown experience. I've been offered an OR job, a totally new area to me. What do I need to do to prepare, if I take it? How does one orient in this area? I've been told its a totally different kind of nursing, but I think it'd be interesting. Any special skills/training? Thanks.

okornurse

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 09:30 pm
It is very different! I was a nurse with background in er, ms, and office....about 9 years total...and when i went to the or...none of that mattered. I oriented with 3 new grads...and we were all pretty much even. the only advantage i had was dealing with doctors (that said...surgeons are VERY different), felt more at ease talking and interviewing patients, and knowlegde of meds/evaluating pt charts in holding. There maybe more things...but i'm just trying to let you know...that it is very different. I love it though!!!!! The crew is just like family...some surgeons are difficult but most are great...and you have any specialty you want if you have any medical problems or questions. the best is only one patient at a time!!!!and usually one doctor at a time. The dowfalls...depending on where you work...is CALL!!!! but usally you are very well compensated $$$$ double time here...for coming in...just a couple of bucks per hour for just being on call. I plan to stay here. the orientation was at least 6 months...i would say more like 8 before i was on my own and taking call. just learning all the little quirks of the dr's anethesia...etc....equipment. i miss the repeat patients like in the office..and not really knowing what happens to the patients after we see them.....rarely puke or poop...(but does happen) in a pinch...like code...you have at least one surgeon and several anesthesiologists...crna's right there with you. like i said...i love it...and feel that it is right for me...but not everyone. you must be thick skinned! the or bunch is just a different breed...
good luck and let me know what you think
bethany

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Transition to OR nursing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:11:43