Any male nurses in here?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Any male nurses in here?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 10:36 am
Any male nurses in here?
Generally the women dominate in this field and I just want to find out if there are any other male nurses. Male nurses unite Laughing

Scott Bushey

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 12:54 pm
Count me in!

ANurse

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 04:15 pm
Any male nurses in here?
Male nurse here...we do need to stick together...in the field 2 years now and enjoying it. Best job/career i ever had.

bowlerrn

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 08:37 pm
any male nurses here
I have been a nurse for 24 years this summer. It is always good to talk to others in the field. I just went to a nursing association meeting and I was the only male there.

cwatrn

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 11:55 pm
Re: any male nurses here
bowlerrn wrote:
I have been a nurse for 24 years this summer. It is always good to talk to others in the field. I just went to a nursing association meeting and I was the only male there.

I work with a lot of male nurses here in Texas. In fact would rather do so because I can count on them to back me up when shit happens without having to wait for them to get ther panties out of a wod first as with most female nurse.

jeremyrn

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:42 pm
I am one of two male nurses in a small hospital in Florida. I find that I (and the other guy) are the subject of a lot of backbiting and backstabbing from the women, especially when I got a position that 5 women were vying for. Does this happen to anybody else?

bowlerrn

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 08:06 am
Any male nurses out there
That happened to me several times in my career but the opposite happend just as much. I was passed over for a couple of promotions because I was a male. I chose to leave those employers as they did not value my work ethic over their tradition. If you look at our history we have a more stable workhistory. 8) :wink:

nurseparamedic

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:46 pm
Male Nurses
I have been a nurse for 30 years and have found just the opposite when it comes to the way I am treated and promotion offers. When I entered the profession we were less than 2% of the nursing work force. Most of us coming out of the military where we had been Medics or Corpsmen (like me).

The only time I ever met resistance was in the beginning from the "old line" nurses that were truly great in their knowledge and delivery of care but true "battle axes" when it came to dealing with a male who wasnt an orderly or transportation assistant. Hell, I never had a female patient the first 3 years of practice!

Yet, with demonstrated knowledge and proficency..a sincere manner of caring it did not take long to win them over.

As one male patient (diploma nurse from the late 1930s who entered WWII and was sent to the field as a medic when his peers were getting commissions as officers in the Army Nursing Corps ) told me when I introduced myself as his "male nurse" one afternoon....

"It is obvious your a male, lets see how good a nurse you are"

To me, he said it all in one sentance.

mikmshak

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 03:24 pm
Yo! DUDES!
I just wanted to say hi. HI! Yes, I remember, 24 years ago I was the only
male in my BSN class at Western Washington University. Ya! It was an RN to
BSN course of study and I had just come out of an ADN program. After I got
my BSN I was commissioned into the Navy Nurse Corps.

I have run into some strange situations but I must say I had the best time in the Navy,(88-91 desert storm). I must say that now, at the age of 52 I have
perhaps a few regrets, things I wish I did differently. I am not sure getting
my BSN was the best thing. Instead, getting into a specialty like OR or something would have been better, sooner, rather than doing everything from soup to nuts.

nursewisniewski

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 02:37 pm
Male nurse
Hi!
I'm from Poland, Cracow.
In my first year in University was studying 10 male and 160 female.
In the last yeay was 5 man and 95 female.
In Poland nursing is a profesion, where working women in 99%.

CA Nurse

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:07 am
Male Student LVN does that count?
I have been working as a care giver for many years. I have always found resistance to being hired. I'm 6'8" tall and 325 lbs. and a Black American when people see me coming they get "funny". It normally takes me about 10 minutes to show staff and residents that I know what I am doing and a very caring and compasionate man and an excellent caregiver. Currently in my class of 45 students, there are 12 males. I am ready for the challenges of finding work once I graduate, I am hopeful that attitudes change during my working years.

educationinfo

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:00 am
There are lots of male nurses working in this field. Its not that now when only female use to work as a nurse. Today ratio of male nurses is increasing gradually.

ghostunitz

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 10:27 pm
Going to learn nursing Smile I am still in college earning credits.
I will become a nurse Wink

Geert Driessen

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 04:15 pm
Male nurse, now working in medical industrie
Hi all;
I worked as a male nurse for about 19 years in Dutch hospitals. Am now working in medical industrie (3M) as Manager Scientific Affairs & Education Perioperative & I.V. Care (Europe). Due to my job I spent a lot of my time in hospitals around Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa. Am very much interested in everything concerning patient safety in general and I.V. Care and perioperative care in particular. Some time ago, I have "adopted" a hospital in Malawi together with a friend (also male nurse), I will go there for the first time (also to work as a nurse) in May 2010

maunty1984

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:18 am
hi..
sure.... 8)
Im male nurse and proud of it....
I used to work in ER for 3 years and 1 year in ICU, recenly Im clinical instructor... unfortunatly Im not expert yet but Im trying my best to get the informations by purchasing books and read them, so I need your opinion about the best method to creat "workshops" there is only one problem "I don't find any convenient resourse of workshops 8) yet to demonistrate some models"..... thanx

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Any male nurses in here?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 11:48:09