Finding a job/ making decisions

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Finding a job/ making decisions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 11:20 pm
Finding a job/ making decisions
Hi! I'll be a new grad at the end of May. I'm so worried about what to do about figuring out what I want to do about my job options. I'm torn between PICU work and regular peds.

For any of you kind nurses out there that have the time to answer...

How much should I value longer training programs? what do you think about 8 week, 12 week, or 6 month programs?

What about the reputation of the hospital?

importance of shared governanace? magnet status? affiliation with a university?

What kinds of things should I be looking for?

any hints/ tips I should know?

Thanks again so much!

soon2beRN

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 06:32 pm
Hi !!
I'm a new RN as of the end of Feb.....I work in a pediatric hospital.....I really like where I am....my facility is affiliated with a medical school and I think it has its good points and bad.....some of the new residents are truly clueless at times so that can be frustrating. But I really do like the fact we are a teaching facility. Our hospital is in the top 10 of pediatric hospitals according to Child magazine and we are a magnet status hospital. I think those things are important too.
I work on a (cardiology/transplant) step down unit ( just outside the PICU doors) and I love it....my training(orientation) was 10 weeks long and I felt that was sufficient. I had originally considered the PICU, but changed my mind after hearing some negative things about their management. I'm not so sure I want the PICU now, I have enough "excitement" where I am.
I know I can't help with any long term experience or wisdom, but just thought I'd give my two cents Very Happy

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Finding a job/ making decisions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 01:39:02