Legs and feet swelling

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Legs and feet swelling

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 08:17 pm
Legs and feet swelling
I am new here, great to find this community.
I am menopausal for the last 2 years and i am having trouble with my legs and feet swelling. when i first arise in the morning they are not swelled at all but as the day goes on they begin to swell and become very heavy and they hurt. I have already been to the dr about this and have undergone so many tests but they have all came back negative. I have actually been told by my dr i am healthy and she is in confusion why i swell so bad. I am taking 40 mg lasix 2 a day to keep the swelling down but i really dont want to live on these water pills. does menopause make you swell like this? Is there anything i can do for myself to keep the swelling down, i am on a salt free diet, for the last 2 years. thank you.

kimmiejs

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 08:24 pm
Many factors can contribute to edema of the lower extremities. Leg edema can be caused by a serious medical condition such as coronary artery disease, renal insufficiency for example. Many different factors can contribute to the development of leg edema, here are some examples:
Poly-substance abuse (laxatives, diuretics, other medications); Taking birth control or hormone replacement therapy pills; Pregnancy and PMS;
Varicose veins and history of phlebitis; Neuromuscular disorders; Trauma,
Sodium Retention (to name a few). Be careful because edema of the lower extremities can lead to leg ulcerations and other medical disorders such as: Fluid overload (swelling of hands, arms, eyes.. basically generalized edema); Hypertension and Palpitations; Headaches.

If I were you I would see about seeing a neurologist, rheumatologist, and a nephrologist. I hope this helps. Please don't take "I don't know what the problem is" for an answer. If the doctor you are seeing is a family practice MD consider seeing a internal medicine doctor.

jhals

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 03:50 pm
advice for iminalabama
Iwould say first you need to make sure you are on a low salt diet. I used to do home care and I cannot tell you the number of people who said they were on a low salt diet, but still ate many foods high in salt. Just about everything processed or in a can contains salt. You should read every label. Try elevating your legs when you sit or lay down. The other nurse talked about vascular problems, they do not usually check for vascular problems until they are in the late stages. Early stages include swelling. You could try loosing weight, an exercise program to increase your circulation. If all else fails, remember, water pills now are far better that heart failure later.

Mcdougal

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 03:59 am
I had varicose veins which causes feet swelling and paining.I tried to use venorid serum which good for the treatment of veins . it takes time and patience but works in the long run.

leslie78

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2017 02:54 am
I had a chance to use venorid serum to cure my varicose veins.Its gone now.must try!!!!!!!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Legs and feet swelling
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 10:03:48