Shift Change - What works for you??

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Shift Change - What works for you??

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 08:24 pm
Shift Change - What works for you??
Hi guys!!

My name is Mandy, and I am an LPN working day shift on the medical floor of a 200 bed Georgia hospital. I have been put on a committee by the CNO of the hospital (aka The Big Bad Wolf) to review the way we do shift change, and try to make it a more smooth and efficient transition.

As of right now, our shift change consists of a basic face-to-face report, with off-going reporting to on-coming, ect. Day shift averages a 5-6 patient load, the same for 3-11, and 7-8 pt load for nights. Many times, we find ourselves reporting off to two or three different nurses, causing us to have to wait until the on coming shift assignment is made by the charge, find who has our patients, and many times have to form a line of sorts, since a few of us might be waiting to report off to the same on-coming nurse. With the way it works now, the off going shift is rarely able to get out on time and overtime in the unit has hit the sky.

One of the most obvious problems we have is on coming nurses arriving late - myself included. "Technically" we're supposed to be on the floor by 0645, 1445, and 2245 - but the vast majority of us arrive right on the hour instead of 15 before. That would be on the top of the list as far as improvement goes, but I am also interested in hearing of other ways shift change is carried out at other facilities. Do any of you use a written report system? Computerized kardex? Other techniques?? What works at your facility to assure you get out on time?

I look forward to and welcome any ideas or suggestions!!!

Thanks,
Mandy A, LPN

soon2beRN

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:17 pm
I used to work in a hospital where the RNs audio taped their reports....not sure how much better that works as I was not an RN at the time.

LokiRn93

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:42 pm
Shift Change
We used the audiotape report. Whoever was going to be charge nurse made out the assignment. The nurses that were there when they were supposed to be, went in to listen to report on everyone because "everyone" took care of the patients. (You never know when you're going to need help or someone to cover for you while you go on break.) The off-going shift was able to leave on time because the on-coming shift was "on the unit" and the patients were covered. When the assignment was finished, the on-coming shift went to work and the charge nurse listened to report, so she/he knew what was going on.

ellynne77

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 02:43 pm
I'm an RN on a mother baby unit and was wondering the same thing about report. We currently do face to face report but we find ourselves staying over, getting incomplete reports, late finishing charting etc. I was wondering what any of you think about the most effective change of shift method.

yoyo 1

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 04:39 pm
a long time ago , we had tape report .Then verbal report. But we still feel not a good way . Of course we complained. However, we have a new way and we are all happy. PAPER REPORT .. According to the head line we write the report. It is a very good communication as well for the next coming shift. You can keep this report for the day to follow up with team,
with this way we are hardly missed any inf. It also prevents the nurse who always come late. Because everyone has their own kerdex and report. The best thing is we go home on time ,except a few nurses are busy or disorganize. I hope it will help you. let me know.good luck.

kimmiejs

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:59 pm
At one of the hospitals here in Georgia the nurses actually record their report on a phone in system. You actually dial in the room number and you hear report only on the patients you will be caring for that day. From what I have been told this works out great because there is always a nurse available during change of shift. My employer said they were going to this type of system but it has been almost a year and we are still waiting.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Shift Change - What works for you??
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 03:04:03