need help

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » need help

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:12 pm
need help
Hi,
I am a Nurse from germany and want to practice Nursing in LA .
I am learning for my nclex exam , it is kind of difffecelt for me to learn everything in english ,I am confused,would like to get involved with patients,hospital and nurses......
I don't know what to do, whom to ask for any possibility to get into it.... Sad Lila

lachlynz

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:22 pm
Anything I can do to help and good luck with the transition.

cmpadthotmailcom

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:27 pm
Very Happy thanks

cmpadthotmailcom

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:54 pm
what do you think,where can I go to ask for a job,,just to get involved with everything around nursing,,and ect.
nobody wants me without californian license,,,not even a practical training

mindy 1

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 04:14 pm
Is it possible to volunter? I know that can be hard when you have to make a living. If you have experience I don't understand why they couldn't use the help. Good Luck 8)

lachlynz

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 04:28 pm
You might try a position as a Unit Clerk (if you feel comfortable with your English and grammar). They are closely involved with the nurses and is a great way to learn the ins and outs of a nursing unit. You do need computer skills. A Unit Clerk performs alot of duties, (scheduling ordered tests/procedures, ordering unit supplies, arranging transporting, etc.).

They communicate to the rest of the departments in the hospital (and sometimes to outside resources) on needed services that the physician orders for the patients on your unit. They do alot more than that but my mind is blank, right now!

You could inquire with a hospital and ask if they might hire you as one, explaining to them that you're studying for the NCLEX exam and this might get your foot in the door to a hospital for a nursing position, once you pass (and you will) the NCLEX. Laughing Hope this helps and I'll post more ideas as they come to me!

cmpadthotmailcom

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:27 pm
hmm,there is the point,,,,,medical english (mine is very weak)thats why I want to be there,where they don't want me to be Smile to get familiar with it,,,u know I went to a english class,but that does'nt help me realy for that what I want,unit clerk is very good,but i have to be very fast,good ,quick and know all the medical terminology,(what i need) otherwise no chance

lachlynz

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 08:22 am
Medical Terminology Class
Probably should take a Medical Terminology class at a local college.
I can't imagine going over to Germany and trying to practice nursing
and learn the language, too--Mindy has a good idea in volunteering,
but that doesn't pay the bills, I know.

As for unit clerk, it depends on the type of unit you work on; some,
believe it or not, are not as fast paced (i.e. a skilled nursing unit).
I wish I could think of something else--maybe others will pitch in
their ideas, but I do think that regardless of what you do, a Medical
Terminology course would benefit you.

Best of luck and welcome to America! :wink:

rnlaurie

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 12:28 pm
How about getting your license to work as a nurses aide while you prepare for the NCLEX?
Did you already graduate from a nursing school? If so, it seems like you'd be able to get a CNA job.
I work in northern CA (Bay Area). Most of the CNA's at our hospital are from the Philipines, and their English is not perfect.
My point is that less than perfect English should not prevent you from working as a CNA if that's what you want to do.
You would be getting familiar with medical terminology, and getting nursing experience too.
I also agree that taking a medical termionology class at one of the community colleges would be a good idea.
Best of luck, and welcome to California!

helminadia 1

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 12:33 am
dear Lila

why don't you try to search in internet
All the best
Helminadia
Bali islands

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » need help
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.45 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:44:02