Have you ever worked with an incompetent nurse?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Have you ever worked with an incompetent nurse?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 10:32 am
Have you ever worked with an incompetent nurse?
I am having a hard time with one of my fellow nurses that just started. She really doesn't seem to know what she's doing. I don't understand how she could of been hired. Maybe she just isn't into her work but I am considering bring it up with my superior. Because if she doesn't pull it together it could affect a patient.

easybreezy

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:48 pm
I certainly have. She ended up getting fired, but it took a LONG time. She did do things that put patients in jeopardy; if you followed her on a shift, you'd better check those patients first!
Definitely take it to your superiors, and keep track of things that go wrong specifically on account of her actions. That will become important! Good luck!

lachlynz

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 02:59 pm
I think we've all worked with those whose standards aren't our own;
question is, has she done anything specifically that has harmed
or jeopardized a patient, because, if so, you're mandated to report it
aren't you?

Good Luck!

easybreezy

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 08:45 am
With the nurse I'm referring to, it was her negligence...the patient was post op, a lap chole. In her frequent VS, her heartrate was increasing, her BP was decreasing (hmmm, what does that tell you?). She was unresponsive for the next shift with a SBP in the 70's. The took her back to surgery and found a LITER of blood in her belly....that could have been taken care of sooner if this nurse had picked up on the clues from her vitals.

mrln1971

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 08:45 pm
there are a lot of (unfortunately) incompetent nurses out there. Rememeber the nursing board that we took only measures the minimum requirement for a nurse to practice safely. So if they are starting to jeopardize patients they need to be re-evaluated. After all we dont want such a nurse to take care of our love ones . Wouldnt we?

Wildflower63 1

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 04:06 am
I have a dual statement about this. Are you really sure that she isn't just new and you need to giver her a chance or is she really endangering patients.

I know how bad I was treated, with ten years of acute care experience, working for a nursing home as Nurse Supervisor. I was resented, called stupid, you name it. The LPNs resented me because they worked there for years. I get a job, knowing acute care nursing and I am suddenly their superior. Nursing Assistants would criticize me too, but have no clue what it is to be a RN.

I would report serious concerns to the DON. She may need further training. This is a new job, so cut her a bit of slack. She cannot be expected to know the job, as you do. I suggest that you help her learn, not cost her a job. She very well may be a good nurse, if properly trained, which none of get at any facility.

Advice, help her learn. The End.

ONCRNinNYC

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 11:09 am
I have to agree with those who replied that it is your job to help teach her. I think we expect an awful lot from nurses who have just started. Most brand new nurses and even most who have been doing it for a year or more are still extremely task-oriented and are just trying to focus on passing their meds and actually doing vitals and the rest of the care the patient needs. If she is a good nurse, she will recognize her shortcomings and use these "mistakes" as learning experiences.

-Julie

Wildflower63 1

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 01:14 am
I believe that experienced nurses will make mistakes because they toss us on the floor and are not familiar with a new facility. Agency nurses tend to work out quickly because they are used to adapting quickly. Other nurses have spent several years at one facility and are used to a completely different way of nursing. These nurses don't adapt easily or quickly. They are still working on time management at a facility new to them, but never really trained them. I can understand why she screwed up.

Personally speaking, I have seen more incompetence out of political nurses. I have followed pets of the DON who talk the talk, but don't do a whole lot, dumping problems on me. They minimize a big problem. When I walk in to do an assessment, I am seeing something different than what I was told in report. This did not occur because I happened to clock in. They are passing the buck of doctor calls, new orders, and all the work that goes with a change in status.

It turns out to be my word, of patient condition, against the DON's pet. You lose every time with this sort of issue. I definitely would call this incomptent and uncaring.

mdroe01

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 05:05 pm
JMO (just my opinion), but if you do decide to go to your supervisor with this situation that you think may jeapordize patient care, be careful to go in with a big list of things this girl did wrong. The supervisor may ask you, if in fact the list contains potentially patient threatening actions, why you waited to amass an entire list and didn't come to her with the first patient endangering occurance. Only you know what is going on, and she may need some guidance. Good luck!

Justanurse

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 07:27 pm
HUMM you mentioned your fellow nurse that just started. I wonder if maybe she just didnt have the experience that you do. When fresh nurses are out we need to help them out and tell them things that they may be missing. My worst experience was KNOWING another nurse was abusing drugs. She was taking narcotics out of the pxysis and giving the pts tylenol. I brought the evidence to my manager and she told me "mind your own business" what made matters even worse was this nurse had me taken into the mangers office saying I didnt like her. No I didnt like her taking the patients pain meds and working half way. But I told my manager I didnt have to like her to work with her, and I wasnt kissing anyones ass there and she knew it. (I,m surprised my temper didnt get me fired) anyway not long after this her patient coded while she was working night shift. And guess what! They found her in the bed sleeping in any empty room. Needless to say they fired her then

Wildflower63 1

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 07:34 pm
mdroe01 wrote:
JMO (just my opinion), but if you do decide to go to your supervisor with this situation that you think may jeapordize patient care, be careful to go in with a big list of things this girl did wrong. The supervisor may ask you, if in fact the list contains potentially patient threatening actions, why you waited to amass an entire list and didn't come to her with the first patient endangering occurance. Only you know what is going on, and she may need some guidance. Good luck!

I was the Nursing Supervisor! No one felt comfortable talking to me. Everyone is so busy playing a political game, I got so many different reputations that I can't even believe it.

The Nursing Supervisor is not necessairily a suck up to administration at all. After a year, I probably went to the DON three times. Why? I solved the problem and feel no need to report anything but a real problem that I want resolved.

This really is how the DON and Administrator take a Nursing Supervisor. They have no clue who's side you are on. You do have staff that you are nice to, always. They don't know where your alliance really is, them or staff. You get a lot of responsibility for every shift. Every single problem is shipped your way. You can't make a mistake. There are people who gossip about the Nursing Supervisor, as if a dog went to nursing school, not me.

Any decent Nursing Supervisor never betrays sources of information where poor patient care or serious areas of concern are. I have always left names out of everything, but do insist that something changes, if I can't make it happen myself, which is easy and I do.

Let me tell you fact, it sucks being Nursing Supervisor!!

rascal

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:35 pm
im a new nursing student.....
i am just in the beginning stages of learning patient care. my first experience was after learning the nurses aid for long term care. The RN took a group of 6 of us to a facility , grouped us in 2 per patient, and we did some skills on patients that we had practiced on manakins.
boy, did i feel awlkward. i felt like a clutz. i wanted despirately to do it right. the things the RN had attempted to teach us was racing in my head. oh my, I hope i dont overlook or forget something.
Actually, the patient knew the routine so much better than I did. She actually guided me on some of the steps.
I learned so much from my mistakes and I was exposed to a new job. After wards, I felt great. I had done care for patients and really enjoyed myself. ohhh, I didnt do a very good job. I still have soooo much improvement to make. And I sure hope the newness and awlkardness leaves quickly. I want to grow and become the best and most competent nurse entering that hospital. So, if you see me struggling, Please help me. I do want to do it right. I really , really do.
And if i have a question, i hope you wont belittle me for asking. I really would rather ask and learn than to do it wrong and jeaperdize my quality care. even if i have to ask more than once.
and i hope to be able to join the league of nurses at your experienced level. it seems such a high level of respectibility. i hope i am worthy of being able to be sincerely called a respectable nurse. I dont know if I will, but look, as i struggle to grow and become..... i do need your help and guidance. A child doesnt learn to walk overnight. He takes time, practice, and alot of falls. And it takes courage to brave those first steps. Cuz it is very scary attempting new ground. your head says, You can do it, your heart desires passionately to do it right. But sometimes it takes time to all come together. Your guidance, help and encouragement might just be the water on a dry plant that brings it to life.
God bless you all. Thanks for hearing me out and wow. i hope someday to be worthy of your group. My heart is to help the children. And the parents whom are watching their children. have a great day!!
rascal

HeatherLPN

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 07:59 am
I'm looking for a new job, and that's why I've turned some down--nurses that don't seem to want to help you learn. There are so many different aspects of nursing, so much to learn. Most of my experience is with MR/DD, which I love, but I want to get into more physical patient care, so I know that I'll need guidance b/c I have lost some of my skills and I know that.

I want to work in an environment where nurses help each other and are positive and like to go to work. I've interviewed at 2 places that seem that way, and will jump at it if they offer me the job.

Also, I think this is a great idea--one of my interviews went very well. If the nursing supervisor would hire you, you go to a 2nd interview with 3-4 nurses. Based on your answers to their questions, and whether or not they click with you is how they hire. The nurses make the final decision, which I think is great b/c they're the ones that have to work with you. I was so comfortable, even tho I was a nervous wreck going in b/c of the idea of it. But I think it's a good way to do it. Plus you get a feel for them too.

Spiffy McJesus

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:13 am
The nursing profession isn't idiot proofed, but then again what profession is?

Monalis

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2021 03:39 am
I have just started my nursing job after graduating in december.
This is my first job as RN.where i am doing my work practice, the senior nurses say that i dont know how to use some equipment and that i am slow. Have only been in here for a week..so many things the teach me i already know but dont want to show to be over confident.. i think it will take some time to be fast like senior nurses. Em i thinking wrong? We deal with lot of child vaccines..they gave my manager feed back that i am slow..is this right? Does that mean i am not a good nurse?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Have you ever worked with an incompetent nurse?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 01:59:06