1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Want to go for LPN worried about math

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

sb5366

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 10:25 pm
Want to go for LPN worried about math
Hi,

I am 27 years old. I was a total brat as a kid and never applied myself in school. I actually refused to learn Math! I dropped out of school at 17 and got a GED. Married young, divorced young. I am now finally getting it together and going to school. I went for Vet Tech first and did very well. 3.5 gpa. But after three semesters decided no go as the pay is so bad.
I really want to help people and have a nurturing personality. Math is not my thing though, but I want to try for LPN and eventually RN. I want to know honestly if I am bad at math if I can do this.

I am very patient and very good with people. I am organized and a very good independant worker. What do you all think?? The Vet Tech classes were Anatomy, Med Terms, Vet disease etc... my boyfriend was going for Histo Tech and said my classes were harder...

Thanx!

stewartm

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 01:21 am
do it, you'll be fine! Good Luck!!

SharpknifeRN 1

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:52 pm
What is histo tech? There is a book called Math for Nursing or something to that effect. There should be more than one I am sure. Get the book, study it you should be fine. You will pay less for it at a book store than at the college. The fact that it might not be exactly the same one is irrelevant. Don't take the corse, unless they require it, or you really think you have to.
Don't let yourself get caught up at someplace demanding really hard math tests when you apply for a job after school. That would be a clue for you, that you don't want to work there anyway. The most difficult thing you have to do for math really is figure out a drip rate. The formula is in the book. Really, on he job you let the machine do it for you or you can count drops per min. That is someting like breathing and walking at the same time so ods are you can do it. Remember that nothing important is on a dial aflow or being hand timed anyway, because when the pt changes position the drip rate will change anyway. IE cardizem, niprid, diprovan, ativan etc. all would go to the pump anyway. Something like normal saline might not be, but under normal circumstances would be alsol. Nothing with potasium is ever to be hand timed or on a dial aflow. The rest is pretty easy. If you have and order that says " give 150mg TID. AND they give you pills 100mg each what do you do?" You give a pill and one half every 8 hours. Not too difficult. Here is question for you. Do dogs ever get IV meds? How do you find places for IV"S.?

sb5366

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 06:50 pm
reply for sharpknife about dog IV
First thank you for your reply!

With Vet medicine, the only real math I needed to know was dosage calculations, conversions and ratios mainly. Same stuff with human medicine?

Yes, animals on occasion need IV medication. I know it is not overly rutine, and I did not finish the program so I could not tell you exactly what kind, but if it is given often the cephalic vein is used. the front forlimb is shaved, one person holds off and restrains and the other gives the med. Or it is given via IV Cath. Most often meds are given IM or Sub-Q.

soon2beRN

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:50 pm
Its probably the same concept.....we use ratio's too. There's a book called

Henke's Med-Math
Dosage Calculations, preparation & administration

you could probably buy it cheap on Amazon.com or eBay's books, it comes with a CD-ROM too.
I'm not the greatest in math and worried about it alot during nursing school, but it ended up being no big deal. You can do it, have faith in yourself !!

RNinMay06

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:47 pm
I'm sure that your school requires some type of math to graduate from the LPN program. My college requires intermediate algebra for LPNs. I had to take that, as well as college algebra and statistics to get my RN degree next month. Start with the lowest math class you can and move up with it. Don't try to jump into an advanced class. I am not a math person either, but I ended up w/ A's and B's in my classes. Most of all, though, believe in yourself! If you want to be an LPN, and math is required, YOU CAN DO IT! The dosage calculations that you will have to do as a nurse are not as hard as the classes, but you do have to be sure you know what you are doing.

Good luck to you!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Want to go for LPN worried about math
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:03:21