Nursing??

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Nursing??

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:59 pm
Nursing??
I am 17 year old male and I am in grade 11, I have been really thinking about going to post secondary for nursing, and even though I am only in grade 11 I am already being told that I will never do it. My step mom has been a nurse for almost 5 years now and she is the only one that thinks I can do it. Even my teachers say I can't do it.
I wanted to be a nurse ever since i shadowed my stepmom during bring your kids to work day. I loved it and I loved how everyone she interacted with became instintly happy even thought they where sick and in pain.
but that is not the only problem I also get teased by alot of people because I want to be a "male nurse", I never hear the end of it form my family they always laugh at the idea.
so one of my questions is are male nurses appreciated just as much as female nurses?

Ginger Snap

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 12:10 am
are male nurses appreciated just as much as female nurses?

Absolutely. Your stepmom is right. There isn't any reason why you can't be a nurse, and I bet you'll make a fine one.

LokiRn93

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 01:41 am
Nursing??
Don't let anyone tell you you can't do something! Some of the best nurses I know are male. The elderly women pts love them! They even flirt with them! And yes, some male nurses get more respect than female nurses, just because they're men. It is actually becoming more socially acceptable for men to become nurses. If it's what you want to do DO IT!

adamzaman

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:24 am
Hay kid, you definitely have my respect. Its takes balls to go into a field which requires you to be responsible.
I understand the dilemma you�ll be facing. At your age, sadly I was one those kids who probably would have teased you. Buts that�s only because I wasn�t very mature at the time.

Look at it this way:-
you�ll have a bursary (4/5k per year) while your studying (your mates will be only getting a EMA grant of 30.00/week).
When your 20 you�ll have a degree (it takes people 5 years to get a degree after leaving school - two years at college (A-levels/GNVQ) & then three years doing a degree)
If your smart you�ll go for your diploma then degree, then masters and finally PhD!
And finally you�ll have lots of hot young nurses as class mate Wink need I say more!!!

Skyla

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 08:11 am
Re: Nursing??
palmerbr wrote:
I am 17 year old male and I am in grade 11, I have been really thinking about going to post secondary for nursing, and even though I am only in grade 11 I am already being told that I will never do it. My step mom has been a nurse for almost 5 years now and she is the only one that thinks I can do it. Even my teachers say I can't do it.
I wanted to be a nurse ever since i shadowed my stepmom during bring your kids to work day. I loved it and I loved how everyone she interacted with became instintly happy even thought they where sick and in pain.
but that is not the only problem I also get teased by alot of people because I want to be a "male nurse", I never hear the end of it form my family they always laugh at the idea.
so one of my questions is are male nurses appreciated just as much as female nurses?

Go for it!!! I work with many male nurses, and I also teach undergraduates and many are males. Yes, I believe male nurses are appreciated as much as female nurses. Good luck and never let anyone tell you you cannot be EXACTLY what you choose to be!!!!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Nursing??
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 01:52:11