blood test

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » blood test

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 08:45 am
I had a blood test done a few days ago and after the blood was drawn I was given the cotten ball to apply the pressure. The nurse removed her gloves and did some paper work. After which she realised she didnt sticky tape the cotton ball to my arm. She grabbed the cotton ball with her bare hand and used it to swipe the location and then turned it over and used the "clean" unbloodied side(which she had just touched with her fingers) to press against the injection site and then tape it down. Here's my concern, isn't there a risk for contimination here? Whatever if anything was on her bare fingers may have come into my blood supply. What if she did this same thing with the patient before me? What if the previous patient had something? Is a trip to the local VD clinic in order or am I just going way over the top with this? And sorry if this topic is not in the appropriate forum...

RN15

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 02:06 pm
@thewarrior,
{Re:She grabbed the cotton ball with her bare hand and used it to swipe the location and then turned it over and used the "clean" unbloodied side(which she had just touched with her fingers) to press against the injection site and then tape it down.}

Although that isn't a good practice by the person drawing the blood, you shouldn't have to go to a VD clinic. Most immune systems are strong and healthy enough to fight off most bacteria that enters our bodies and besides our bodies have what's called "flora" or bacteria in healthy numbers that keep our systems working. (hugs)

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » blood test
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 12:47:56