Please Help Real Health Problem

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Please Help Real Health Problem

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 10:18 pm
My husband's body twitches violently in his sleep. Now he's been complaining of his right lower rib hurting when he yawns. Any suggestions? I am terribly worried.

Matina

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:19 pm
Health problem
First take him to a reliable neurologist. Since he twitches in his sleep, I would say its not Parkinson's as a parkinson's patient is quiet when asleep. Any Huntington's Chorea in the family? The other question here, is does he snore alot? It could be sleep apnea. There are also many many neuro disorders that cause twitching, from restless leg on up. As far as the pain in the right side, he could have cracked a rib twitching, or his liver could be causing a problem. The first thing I would do however would be get him to that doctor. You didn't say how old he is. Good luck and let me know please, I'm a frustrated diagnostician at heart, hehe.

alwaysworried

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:04 pm
He's only 18 and yes, he does snore a lot. I thought it was sleep apnea but when he sleeps I try to listen to see if he stops breathing but I can't seem to see if he does. When he starts falling asleep, he starts snoring and then twitches and it stops the snoring, and then seconds later he starts snoring again and the twitches again and it goes on through the whole night and he doesn't realize anything that's going on.

SharpknifeRN 1

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 06:46 am
HI in other words he isn't breathing when he isn't snorng. He is very young to have sleep apnea but it sounds like a clasic case. Is he obese? Is he irritatable in the morning? Ask him if he dreams while he sleeps? He doesn't need to remmember the dreams, just a yes or no? When he starts to snore again is he doing it in short bursts like he is trying to catch up for a few seconds? He woudn't have to be over weight but it helps make him prone to apnea. There are also lung disorders that could cause this, I wound not name them here as I have only seen that a few times. He might need bipap or cpap, both are machines that force air into the lungs while people sleep. A sleep study at a hospital would be helpfull. See your doctor, tell them what you said in the last post. He twitches because his brain is short on oxygen durning his sleep because he is not breathing as often as he should. Often,if this condition is not harming the pt. keeping them from work or makeing them impossable to live with, then it is just interesting to watch. This could be corrected also in some cases by surgury or weight loss. If it is caused by malformation of the throat or obesity. If its nuro then its most likely a lifetime thing, but not neccessarily harmfull. Seeing the nurologist is still a good idea. Has he always done this or is it recently started? Good luck.

Matina

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 09:43 am
Medical Question
Now that I've seen your second posting, I agree with sharpknife. I've seen kids(anyone under 30 at my age) who have sleep apnea. They either have a genetic respiratory problem or they are obese.

alwaysworried

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 04:05 pm
He's not obese but actualy quite the oposite. He says he never remembers his dreams. He doesn't even realize that he's fallen asleep / slept at all. He's had it for as long as I can remember.

Matina

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 06:27 pm
health problem
Worried, I think a doctor visit is in order, if he's had it most of his life it could be a small genetic glitch. He definately needs a sleep study.

SharpknifeRN 1

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:13 am
Ok now here is another little thing, that is not life threatening, (so far as I know) and why I ask that question. There is a nuro disorder that prevents rem sleep with those symptoms too. Take him to the nurologyst and again tell them what you have said here. The no dreaming part too. There is medication for this if I remmember right. (sorry it has been 10 years since I saw one of these cases and I wasn't a nurse at that time so I can't know or remmember all of the details. Like the name of the disorder for one.) He could soon be getting the first real sleep he has had in his life. Ods are he doesn't know he doesn't sleep right if he has this condition. Could mean some big changes in his personality and quality of life.

Matina

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:51 am
real help
Not going into REM sleep can be caused by at least 2 things, Sleep apnea and fibromyalgia. He definately needs a sleep workup. Not going into REM sleep can cause problems during the day also, because of lack of a true restful sleep. How is the pain in his ribs doing?

LokiRn93

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 02:02 am
I agree with Sharpknife and Matina. He's probably got sleep apnea. Not being able to go into REM sleep, the snoring and the sleep apnea are symptoms of what is called "Parasomnias". When you go to sleep at night, there is a center at the base of the brain that "paralizes" your body so it can get the rest it needs to rejuvenate itself. The period just before REM sleep is NREM (Non-REM) and it is best described as like dozing (light sleep). This center in your brain is not stimulated to completely "paralize" your body and you "twitch", roll over, toss and turn, etc. Some people can never reach REM sleep because of this. A sleep study will be a very good indicator of how to go about treating this. Also, an ENT exam may be a good thing to have done to see if there is a physical reason for the snoring (epiglottal prolapse, deviated septum,etc.).

katejane

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 07:48 am
I agree with you all suggesting a sleep disorder. My husband has sleep apnea and the symptoms sound very familiar...... best to get an order for a sleep study....I think that will be the best place to start....

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Please Help Real Health Problem
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:14:56