RN student needs advice!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » RN student needs advice!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

buffy 1

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:29 pm
RN student needs advice!
Hi, I am an RN student, I am two months away from graduating! I'm doing my preceptorship right now. I was wondering if anyone has some advice on how to delegate to a CNA (VS and baths) as a student, without upsetting the CNA. I am an LPN and I have had to delegate many times before, but it is different as a student. I almost feel like as a student I am expected to do everything, so it is difficult when I need help. Any advice? thanks alot!

SharpknifeRN 1

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 08:45 am
Assuming things work the same way where you are as they did for me, then you are expected to do everything yourself. Yea that is what I said. Worse is the fact that the CNA is looking at you as a labor sorce for their work because they know that, and many instructiors have the mentality that you need to do this and that to pay your dues. Enouph with their crack pot ideas. Here is how you do it. You ask them. "I need help in room blank please." loud steady tone. With out looking at them for more than 2 seconds then turn 180 degrees and go directly to that room. DO NOT tell them what they will be doing. You will have had everything in the room to get what you need done. If you leave to get it after they get there they will be gone when you get back. So be ready. When they get there proced with the task immeadiatly. Doing the worst part yourself. YES the whiping part. Then just before the end tell them "thanks I have got it from here". Your following this pattern for several reasons. Number one establish in your own mind that the "dirty" work is part of nursing. Get used to it and practiced at it so it becomes quick. Five minutes is a long time for a bed bath anywhere. Yes I said five minutes. NOT 35. That would be about all of the time you will have for one pt the entire day in a 12 hour shift. You can strech it to maybe seven minutes if you are giveing a back rub and appling barrier cream. This doesn't count any drsgs you might have to do. No I am not kidding. The second and almost as important reason you are doing this is to assert your athority over these people. And don't fool yourself, or let them fool you, YOU are incharge. AND you better be. Some CNA's are great. I managed to get employee of the year while CNA at a major hospital. Yes NOT kidding. I started to tell you how, but you had to be there to believe it, and it is off topic. Other people are CNA's to be paid the
$10 an hour and that is all. If you don't act as if you expect them to help you when you ask them (read tell them) they won't. AND you need to expect having to go to a charge nurse or boss once and a while to report them for not doing their work. You will occationaly have to write one up too. I was a CNA. a Tech, an LPN, An RN and now I am the charge nurse. I did all those jobs for a while so I know how this works. They will not like it at first, but they will get over that. After a time they will respect you, and come to like you again. Or really, malybe they will like you for the first time, but that is introspection you don't have time for yet. This process will also teach them that they are expected to do their own work, and in a lot of cases give them a clue as to how to do it. As a nurse on that note you need to read a CNA book on giving bed baths. DON"T buy it and don't let anyone see you read it. As a nurse I don't remmember ever seeing it in print anywhere, there are several quick methods that also teach how to deal with the lifting and turning aspects of the job. Primary idea there is to use the legs and arms to carry the weight over in the turn and reduce the force neccessary for acheiving it, and where on the body to start washing. Most important element is you can't be afriad or embarrassed about taking peoples cloths off. This is also the time for a second good skin assessment. Being shy will waste time you don't have. It also makes the client wonder if you know what you are doing. Sorry to be so prechy, hope I helped.

nightcat

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 12:59 am
I agree with Sharpknife, and also have a few suggestions that help me. As a student, yes you are expected to do the majority of the pt. care. We mostly relied on each other for help with some tasks to get things done quicker. Once you are out of RN school, and even as an LPN, these few things may help you, and get you more help in the long run. First, do not ask someone to do something you would not do yourself. That usually means showing them that you are not afraid of the "dirty" part or think it is beneath you. This also means treating them as a member of the team. Sometimes they can spot things changing with your pt. because they do get to spend a bit more time with them. Use that to your advantage. They will respect you more for it. Second, do not "hunt" someone down to delegate a task. Many times you could have had the task done by the time you find them, and they may have been busy in another room. Third, if you delegate a task, it helps to be busy yourself i.e. "Could you get this pt. ready for transport while I call report?" or "Would you please help this pt. to the bathroom while I discharge another pt.?" This way your techs and CNAs do not feel that you are lazy. The worst thing to do is delegate a task to an already busy tech or CNA and then sit down to chat with the other nurses. It will have you branded as a lazy nurse.

If you tend to do these follow these few rules, your staff will go the extra mile for you when it really counts. :wink:

SharpknifeRN 1

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:48 am
Amen Nightcat.

buffy 1

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 05:22 pm
Thank you Sharpknife, it is a big help to hear your advice... to know you've been there, had to deal with it, and to hear what works for you... it is very good advice and I will use it. Thanks again!

buffy 1

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 05:25 pm
Thanks nightcat! What you said makes a lot of sense, your advice will come in handy...thanks a lot!

GlendaGW

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:30 pm
Advice for Buffy
Hey Buffy!
My advice is to treat everyone that you have to delegate to the way that YOU would like to be delegated to. A mentor of mine once told me.."There are no sh** jobs unless you make them sh** jobs." Managers are just as capable as everyday employees of doing tasks. Another thing to remember is that no task is beneath you. You are no different than any other caregiver..and those initails behind your name mean nothing uless you are worthy of them! Good luck in your studies!
Glenda

buffy 1

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 04:46 pm
GlendaGW thank you for your advice, and I totally agree!

LokiRn93

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 01:26 am
RN student needs advice
Just remember...you are all a TEAM. I also agree with nightcat. Never have someone else do something that you wouldn't do. I've let STNA's know, when I have a few minutes free and they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off, by answering call lights, getting the pt some water, taking someone to the bathroom, putting them on or taking them off the bedpan, changing a completely soaked bed or whatever. Never TELL someone to do something, always ask and make sure you say THANK YOU and let them know that they are appreciated!

amberhj

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 01:21 am
i was a cna/nurse tech for the five years it took me to do my rn schooling, so i know how it is at the desk, on the floor, transporting etc etc...i treat every one from the house keepers to the attending md's with the same respect and i get treated the same way back..dont be afraid to delegate, when i was transitioning from cna to nurse it did feel akward to ask the aids to do things for me, i also was the type that felt like i should be able to do it all mysesl.. i learned quick that we all need help..so i easily ask for help but i also do a lot of extra..if the clerk is slammed but im ok i might sit down and take off some orders or answer phones or call lights, i also tell my aids not to hesitate to call me for help if they are bathing my pt and he/she is heavy stuff like that. so i hope my experience helps you a little bit too....good luck

nightnurse 1

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 12:00 pm
delegating
I AGREE WITH EVERYONE SO FAR, ASKING FOR HELP AND THEN NOT FORGETTING TO THANK THEM ALWAYS SEEM TO WORK FOR ME. ALSO, AT THE HOSPITAL THAT I WORK AT, WE HAVE WHAT WE CALL HIGH FIVES, THESE ARE PRAISE SHEETS THAT WE WRITE OUT AND HANG ON A BOARD FOR ALL TO READ INCLUDING THE PATIENTS. I TRY TO WRITE EVERYONE UP FOR HELPING ME, ESPECIALLY THE ONES THAT GO ABOVE AND BEYOND FOR ME. THESE ARE " WRITE UPS" THAT EVERYONE IS GLAD TO GET! :wink:

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » RN student needs advice!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 03:18:52