Accomodations my Autistic Husband Needs

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Off Topic
  3. » Accomodations my Autistic Husband Needs

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 11:41 am
Accomodations my Autistic Husband Needs
Dear Nurses,

There are certain accomodations my husband needs met which are listed under the Joys and Sorrows of Living with Adult Autism (Awareness). Since you probably thought it was the same post already made and haven't viewed it I am rewriting it here.

My sweet dear autistic husband needs all female nurses. Men torchured him and made fun of him with needles as a child. Also my husband needs to be mothered and men cannot do this. All his nurses need to be happy go lucky nurses and he needs to be able to give them all hugs. Unlike Temple Grandin who does not like to be touched, my husband is a hug machine. He hugs everybody he likes. The nurses need to be ones that are naturally happy go lucky to begin with and not just people trying to act like it when their not. This will not help. They need to be this way naturally from the very begining. Also when my husband finds a nurse he likes or a group of nurses he likes he needs to get the same one every time he goes to the hospital.

My husband must be knocked out completly with the gas before any invasive x-rays are done or surgeries. He needs to be out completly before you insert a catheter in him or he will freak out. A catheter being inserted in him feels like a sword being stuck in him. An IV feels like a butcher knife and a blood test feels like a steak knife to him. You can see how this must be excruciatingly painful for him.

Also, it is better to give him the gas first but since most hospitals insist on the IV first. He needs to have two nurses available. One on the one side of him to do the IV stick and another one on the other side of him to hold his hand through an IV stick and then rub the top of his head to calm him down when he hypervenitllates, screams, and cries. This is what works best for him and this is what he needs.

It is very important that all nurses understand my Autistic husband's needs before he goes into the hospital so they know what they can expect from him as far as needs are concerned.

Thank you for reading this post.

In Christian Love,

Big Bertha Evans

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Off Topic
  3. » Accomodations my Autistic Husband Needs
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:11:24