aircraft crash quiz

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Off Topic
  3. » aircraft crash quiz

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 04:54 am
aircraft crash quiz
I need an example answer for a quiz in a 'Nursing English' textbook I'm working on - the aim is for students to practise their English in discussing the matter, but we still have to give them the 'best solution' to the problem, which I can't do without nursing knowledge. I'd be very grateful if anyone would suggest their answer, with brief explanations of choices is possible. Here it is...

"You are in a light aircraft when it crashes in the jungle. Your radio is broken so you can't call for help. There are two of you and you must get ready to walk 100 kilometres to safety. You already have clothes, food and water.

You can take only ten more things with you - five from each list.

MEDICAL: bandages, scalpel, snake bite kit, morphine, aspirin, disposable gloves, thermometer, tweezers, first aid manual, hypodermic needles, adhesive tape

GENERAL: torch/flashlight, box of matches, soap, mirror, compass, knife, scissors, fish hooks, large plastic bags, cooking pot, mosquito net."

Thanks in advance!

Ayrman

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 05:12 pm
A very late reply that doubtless will be of no use now, but nevertheless I offer it for edification.

Medical: bandages, scalpel, aspirin, tweezers, adhesive tape.

Of the available items these are the most likely useful for your trek. Snakebite kits are strongly disrecommended as they do no good whatsoever. Morphine has it's own problems and will leave you potentially unable to trek due to it's sedative effects. Take aspirin and suck it up if you wish to live.

The bandages and tape will aid with the inevitable cuts, scrapes, etc, and the tweezers with the thorns that will find their way into your flesh (been there done that in Belize).

General: matches, soap, compass, knife, mosquito net.

Fire is a basic necessity for heat, light and cooking, as well as nighttime safety in the jungle (predators). Soap is your infection control measure for the inevitable wounds. Compass so you can stay on track when you find the inevitable obstacles. The knife is your primary survival tool for building shelter, gathering fuel, cleaning and harvesting food such as may be found, and finally as a last-ditch defense. The mosquito net will make the night more bearable as far as sleep and keep you healthier. You won't make 100 kilometers in a couple of days so plan on staving off possible mosquito-born infection as long as possible.

Ayrman

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Off Topic
  3. » aircraft crash quiz
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:34:17