Halloween time!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Off Topic
  3. » Halloween time!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 05:19 am
Halloween time!
Very Happy Well, my favorite time of the year is here! Autumn! I am living in a new apartment with my new family this year and I'm in the mist of decorating. So far so good I think. I thought I had a lot more but maybe it's because it's a much larger place than I'm used to. Anywho....<halloween owl> I'm a night <halloween> owl this year as well because I've taken a night position at a nursing home right at the end of my block now! I'm still adjusting but I've found that when I'm actually at work I have no problem except for when I first start at 10:45pm till about 2:30am. After that I'm usually catching my 2nd wind and I can go from there. My favortie time is when the sun comes up and 1st shift comes in. I can see how tired they are and they haven't even begun their shift yet, I remember that feeling as a f/t day shift nurse, but I immediately got busy so that I didn't feel the effects of not having enough sleep because as we all know it's very very very seldom you go to bed early enough when you're expected to start work at 7am and then there are the nights you just can't sleep because your still wound up at 1 or 2am. Well, it's not to say that the day shift can be a good thing though, especially if you care about spending time with your family. You would have the later afternoon left and the entire evening left with your family instead of joining them after dinner time like I do. I usually don't join my family till 6/7pm. Right now it's not so much a problem because my fiancee' isn't working so he will stay up and then drive me (yes I said drive) me to work. I hate leaving him at that time but it's also nice to know I'm making money and that it is after all the night shift so I will be able to relax a little because the atmosphere is so different at nights. Unlike other night shift jobs this one (home) is busy all night long. There are so many things to do it's unbelievable. Yes, there is a mount of paperwork but it's not like you can sit all night doing it because it requires going to different rooms and units to do it. I'm a supervisor in this position so I'm also responsible for everyone else's problems. That's okay though, I want it on my resume and I get compensated for it. The other good thing about this job is f/t is only 4 nights/wk. So your guanteeded to have at least 2 days off in a row plus one other day however it falls no matter what. I really don't care about having 32hrs vs 40, I just care that I have health insurance and that's it. I figure if I'm ever in a real jam and need extra cash I'll just call up my agency and work for even more money from them on a wk-end night and be cool. But what's really cool at this time of the year (halloween) is that the holidays are coming again! It's been a very long hot, humid, sweaty unemployeed summer for us so we are just starting to get back on our feet here. I'm happy that God has blessed us enough where at least one of us has a good job and this gives him a chance to go into a new and exciting direction in his life learning a new job. I am actually excited to be able to help him out because someone in my past helped me out where nursing school became a reality for me. So it's payback time! Very Happy I'm going to start my x-mas shopping now too. I'm going to buy universal gifts of good quality and hopefully at bargain prices. I've learned never to buy clothing for people, however Target gift cards can be a nice touch in the card and then something like a leather wallet or casmeir scarf can be appreciated. Anyway more to come but for now chow!

lpnlimbo

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 02:47 am
Halloween fun at home on the night shift!
Very Happy I've been finding comfort in my new schedule working nights. For one, the time I do get to spend with my family is of real quality and not of a rush rush thing. On my nights off such as tonight, I find I have a great deal more of personal time. I have always enjoyed a solatary type of lifestyle so this schedule allows me to have the best of both worlds really. It seems that the nights just fly by for me now that my body is almost done adjusting to being up all night. And boy do I love my life now! See, in the morning when I used to have to get up so early, I was usually very tired because I found it so rare that I ever got to bed early enough to have enough sleep, so in return I was groggy, grouchy and very unbearable to deal with. So I definetly get more rest now on the night schedule because nothing that imporatant or fun is happening during the afternoon. Everyone else in the world is at work in the mist of there late morning/afternoon while I'm tucking myself into bed for a nice very long nap. I'd say 8-9hrs is a nice nap wouldn't you? :wink: Then when I wake up I my family is already pretty much wound down from their own days and the tension is low, I usually walk into the kitchen, switch on the radio to some relaxing music like lite jazz or classical or eclectic or religious music and begin cooking my family a nice dinner. Cooking and baking are one of my favorite past times so it's very relaxing for me to use my hands in this way. It's actually very therapeutic. Then we all have a late supper together and then my fiancee' and me gather our 3 dogs and off for a evening walk we go. I love that first breath of fresh, cool, crisp, autumn air with all the stars in the sky and watching the dark or white (depending on the weather) clouds fly by. Since we live on prarie land we see many geese and ducks gathered around the small lakes by our house and if we're lucky and it's late enough (usually our 2nd walk of the night 2 or 3am) we'll catch an owl hooting on building tops or flying by. They are my ultimate favorite animal because they are a sign of intelligence as well as being silent when they are working which I think is golden. I am currently trying to practice that myself at work. I think that more people should actually practice being more quiet and listening more. Another pleasant thing about being on the night schedule is the atmosphere alone. Everything is different at night time for some unexplainable reason. The air is cool sometimes cold which always to being wrapped up with a sweater and sweater bring phychologic comfort for their soft warmth. I'm very much a night person. I am sitting here at my computer (with fiancee' now up and sitting at the t.v. eating a tasty salty chip snack while I continue typing) with most of my Halloween decor' surrounding me enjoying the bright soft orange lights that illuminate our home right now with several autumn scented candles burning like pumpkin spice (my favorite) and other tasty scented treats. It's about 3am but it's funny because I have to actually look at the clock to see what time it is since I'm well rested getting up at 9pm this evening. The atmosphere here reminds me of a spa like surrounding because of my soft classical music playing from my computer and the sweet hot coffee I'm enjoying and the glow of candles and festiv holiday lights everywhere. So to say the least I'm really loving this night schedule. The other thing I enjoy is the fact that I can stay in PJ's and be comfy all night long. When you work the day shift and you have a day off you can't really do that because there are many errands to run and chores to do and people to see so you need to have a different wake up routine, but me on the other hand, I can wait till daylight to take a shower and then move forward with my day on a beautiful am walk in the woods with my fiancee' and the dogs. Then we run doing some early am errands and then around 9-10am I take care of my 4 parakeets and set them up and off to bed I go. Let me tell you how good it feels at that time to snuggle into bed with all my blankets and pillows with the window open enough to blow in some more of that autumn air and being as lucky as I am with my room situated where there is never any direct sunlight yet a sunny view out the window I can sleep perfectly peaceful. And if I feel restless all I have to do is peer out my window and watch the sunny sky with all the white clouds roll by in the park and know that I've already been there and done that and now I can relax knowing that I didn't miss out on anything day or night! 8) Now that's my schedule on my wonderful nights off, something to really look forward to wouldn't you say? On the nights I have to work I have a slightly different schedule. I still wake up to one of my favorite hobbies (cooking) with my relaxing music on and I still enjoy a family sit down dinner but it's shower time for me then and off to ironing my scrubs and polishing my shoes. Once I have everything I need to just slip into for the last few minutes before heading for work I can relax on the couch with my family watching t.v. and a snack. As long as I make my lunch and get everything ready as soon as I get up while dinner is cooking including my shower I can just relax in front of the boob tube with my family till it's time to get ready for work. The nights go by so fast and I don't walk on those nights because I save my legs and energy for work. The chores I do on my nights off so that I don't have to worry about a distraught house when I have to work. My goal on work nights is to really do as much relaxing as possible. When I arrive to work with my fiancee' driving me because I'm so close to work, we talk for a few minutes and then I go in. When I go in I have coffee and H2O in hand to fuel me up with some energy and continue waking up throughout report. I am developing a very casual approach to work now that I'm on nights. I take my time doing what I need to do which is pretty much routine and I can't wait till my orientation is over and I have a regular wing to work on, then it'll really be nice to know exactly what to expect (except for A/I's knock on wood). The case loads aren't that heavy where I work and you pretty much just endorse everything to the day shift nurse anyhow but there are a few 12a meds to give and a round of breathing check and little paperwork here and there like midnight head count, CNA schedules, call offs to handle, medicare charting and regular charting in my spare time, a few lights to answer if not too busy, and just getting my MAR ready for the 4am med pass and making sure everything is stocked in my cart as well as being able to find all necessary meds so that once I hit my med pass I'm properly prepared. Of course I will make sure that I keep my CNA on her toes as well by making my rounds to her before all her breaks and asking her what she's been up too and get report from her and then always leave with a order and a smile. I don't care if I have to just dish out skin checks for her, I believe that they need to look at me when I come through the door in the beginning of our shift that I am a worker who likes to stay busy but in step with the night hours and expects her to do the same. I believe it's important to maintain respect from your CNA's at all times. I will confuse them when I bake up treats and bring them into work but that's all part of it. It's a stagety in keeping respect. Then when morning rolls around I'm excited to get out of there and meet my honey and the dogs for a am woods walk and then greeting and taking care of my last pt's for the day, my birds and off to shower and a healthy breakfast and sleep for me. BTW, a healthy breakfast includes a healthy amt.....LOL. Well it's going on near 4a now and I have a couple loads of laundry to do in 1/2 hr and some more sites to visit and some new recipes to look up as well as a new baking treat for the season to look up now...........till tomarrow night.....hoooo hooooo!

lpnlimbo

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:24 pm
The last night off for a few nights
Smile Well, I can't really complain can I? I think the last night everyone has off is sort of a sad one. 8) I made the mistake of going to bed too late today (2p) because I didn't get up till 9:30p and I didn't have enough fam time. But that's okay. I'm getting a little ancy anyways and I am looking forward to getting my orientation through with at work. I can't wait to have myself a regular flr with regular pt's. I love routine. When that happens it'll be even better. Besides, the money is so good. Talking about money, it's pretty tight around here this month. My daughter is having her b-day tommarrow and even though we've gotten her some nice small gifts, they aren't huge and hooking cable up to her new big t.v. hopefully will be exciting enough for her. Next month should be a lot better money-wise around here. I had to skip on my manicure that I wanted to start up again but tonight I'll have enough time to give myself a spa night. I'll do a facial and nails and it'll be rewarding after a nice long week-end off. I'm going to set a budget where we can all enjoy going out to eat once a week in a real restraunt instead of this fast food crap. The money you pay for a real home cooked meal is worth it health wise. Plus you can have yourself a snack later on. I would say that going to the movies is another fun thing to do every other week. Well enough for now, it's time to have my BLT.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Off Topic
  3. » Halloween time!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:18:33