Hospital Food

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Off Topic
  3. » Hospital Food

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 11:26 am
Hospital Food
My jaw dropped when I had a conversation with a close friend of mine who also is a nurse. She actually likes hospital food. I am convinced she has to be the only person who does. So I made a bet with her that I couldn't find anyone else who likes hospital food. If you happen to enjoy watery coleslaw and day old muffins let me know. I want to win this bet fair and square!

jacklyn74rn

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 01:37 pm
I hate to tell you but I like the hospital food where I work. They really change up their menu and even serve steak and baked potatoes that are good. Plus it's really cheap for employees to eat there. Like $3.00 for the whole meal including dessert and salad. I don't think that can be beat. Shocked

MikaJ

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 01:45 pm
jacklyn74rn, which hospital are you working at? Rolling Eyes

easybreezy

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 02:41 pm
My hospital has pretty good food, too. Too greasy of things, though, in the cafeteria. They have a new "menu" style for patients, which is great...they have so many options now!

nursegarcia

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:26 pm
The food where I work is really good, at least the food in the cafeteria is. The employess get a huge discount, so our whole meal can average fro $2 to $3.

paigerizme

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 07:14 pm
The food where I worrk is pretty good too, and cheap. We have also changed to the menu for pts- its called Catering to You. The pts love it- it feels like a restaurant to them, there are problems with it though- pts who are confused often get iverlooked by the aides and therefore dont get food (there is suypposwd to be a system in place where confused pts are automatically served but it has never worked). Another problem we have is IDDM pts- we never are told when there food has arrived and insulin and blood glucoses have been completely thrown out of whack.

In some ways it has been fabulous- but in others it has been a nightmare

Maxine 1

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 06:09 pm
Well I guess I lost the bet, where are you guys working making I can get a job there Laughing Thanks for your help know I owe my friend $10 oh well Crying or Very sad

Wildflower63 1

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 05:34 am
Does hospital food suck? It really depends on how hungry you are. If I can get a meal at a good price, I'm cool with that. I used to pay $1.50 at a rehab hospital, where they loaded up your dinner. I would bring it home, add salt and pepper and my kids ate it too.

My latest job at a nursing home, I refused their $3.00 meals completely. You drive almost a mile and could hit on the dollar menu at McD, Wendy's, Taco Bell, and all the rest of junk food places. I'm not paying them $3.00 for the small portions they give you. These people are Dietary Nazis. I have seen them take mass food home, but resent giving us a break.

I can get two chicken sandwiches and an order of fries, which is much more fun that small portion nursing home food. I refuse to buy because I believe that I am being overcharged.

Yes, I will throw a ton of salt and pepper, which are the two missing thing, on hospital food. I love a cheap meal that I don't have to cook or clean up after. The price better be right or I don't buy.

granniegingeryahoocom

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 07:48 pm
Sorry about that bet! I don't even work in a Hospital anymore, but go there to eat on my lunch hour, that's sick, I know. Embarrassed
But they have the best food at the lowest prices; I'm all over that !

Wildflower63 1

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:51 am
Grannie, I hear ya! lol! If it edible, cheap, I don't have to cook or clean up afterwards, I pretty happy with the situation.

I do have an odd question. Since women are working, have we gotten less picky about home made food opting for quick, easy, and cheap? I have. I hate housework too. Like I feel like spending my day off doing that!

Have we taken off our aprons and hired someone to clean, while we only will bother with running our sweeper?

novice 1

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:07 pm
Sorry Maxine---I guess that I'm also coming out of the closet. I must admit, I love the food that my hospital serves.
Our patients each receive a resturant style menu that they can pick and choose from thus, they feel more in control. This "room service" style operates from 6am until 8pm. The patients love it and let's face it, not everyone likes meatloaf and greenbeans. :wink: [/i]

rascal

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:43 am
i was a patient twice this year with a TIA. let me tell you. i looked forward to meal time. wow. 3 squares, nutritious, delicious, and filling.
For YEARS, I have done house cleaning. And nurses and doctors already work to the bone and just dont want to use the remainder of thier time working in the home. they would rather spend that R & R, and with thier kids / husband, etc.
Now, a student nurse soon-currently an Aid at the nursing home. no, no. not interesed in that small portions. but it does taste good. so, i take my medal lunch box and pack it.
i have one women i know that doesnt work outside the home. i clean for her. and boy is she a great cook. but i have found hospital food to be excellent !!

soon2beRN

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:18 pm
Where I work has pretty good food....its a children's hospital....they have a make shift Dairy Queen and Pizza Hut, a wrap station where you can get all kinds of wraps, a grill station for hotdogs, hamburgers, chicken tenders, etc and a station where they serve "menu" items.....the employees get a 30% discount, but the prices can be a little steep depending on what you buy. I try and stay in the $3-$4 range...I HATE spending alot of money on food. We have another major hospital across the street (for big people) and their food is AWFUL !! Its so bad the employees come to our hospital to eat Laughing

kimmiejs

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:30 pm
At the hospital I worked at in Australia the food was actually cooked by chefs. The food was brilliant.. prawns, lamb, home made muffins... you name it . The tea trolley cam around 3 times a day. There is nothing like a cup of hot tea and a crumpet late in the afternoon. I sure miss those days.

puddin

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:12 am
Well, hopsital food where I work is pretty terrible. They have daily "specials". A few weeks ago, the daily special involved boiled pig's feet and cabbage. Not so "special".

peaches 1

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 02:48 am
Hospital food.
Our hospital food is 5-6 dollars for employees, not even including a drink. Tea is over a dollar. The food is okay, but small portions because they give their friends and families all the food, so they give us small portions. The kitchen staff is very unfriendly unless you are their friend. We see their family and friends going out the door with a ton of food. Oh yeah, the kitchen is closed on week-ends and at supper, so if you work the week-end, you have to bring your own food. If you want supper, bring your own. Pretty pitiful, huh? Soup Nazi!

kimmiejs

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 02:05 pm
At my hospital the cafeteria is closed for supper and closed for both breakfast and supper on the weekends. Talk about another way the hospital is pinching pennies. Yes, I realize that everyone is concerned about their bottom line. Unfortunately it seems that watching the bottom line comes at the expense of employees and patients family members and visitors.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Off Topic
  3. » Hospital Food
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 08:55:11