Confused about options

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Permanent Nursing
  3. » Confused about options

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:57 am
Confused about options
OK,
Could you tell me the differences in possibilities with an agency, per diem and permanant topics, I am confused. Do hospitals hire their own staff? And if you work for an agency would you have a hard time getting 36 hours as an RN in Peds with 8 yrs experience? Do agencies MAKE you work the 12 hr shifts at base w/no differentials in CA?
All information will help!
Thank you!

hjwebb

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 03:53 pm
Hi there,
Hospitals do hire thier own staff. They have full time, part time, and resource positions. Full time and part time employees are scheduled for a set amount of hours based on thier FTE, and are offered benefits. Per diem employees are paid at a higher rate, but are not gauranteed hours and do not recive benefits.

Hospitals contract with agencies to fill shift openings that they are not able to with thier own staff. Agencies usually offer higher pay rates, and some offer benefits such as health insurance. How many hours you can work each week through an agency depends on the nursing shortage/ demand for shifts in your area. I am in Portland, OR which only has two hospitals with peds units, so shifts are scarce.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Heather

crystalvisions

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:08 pm
Thank you, I am getting the idea!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Permanent Nursing
  3. » Confused about options
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 12:49:38