Looking for a job as a new RN grad.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Permanent Nursing
  3. » Looking for a job as a new RN grad.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 07:50 pm
Looking for a job as a new RN grad.
I'm in an RN program, scheduled to graduate in May of '06. I'm US trained, but a Cnd citizen, and am really interested in going somewhere like Alaska to work. Only 26, but of course coming into the job market with no experience other than that gained from being in a program and the daughter of medical parents.

Now I know well enough that i may as well start looking now since i'm sure jobs won't fall into my lap. But i'm just wondering where i should look. How to make a good impression once i'm on th ejob market is something i'm unsure of along with writting a good quality resume.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Linda

Kayla 1

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:43 am
When you are ready to travel I highly recommend Access Nurses. They work with US and Canadian nurses. I just read an article about one of thier nurses who went to Alaska in Working Nurse magazine. Her stories were amazing.

Quote:
Working as a nurse in this extreme location is an unparalleled experience

You will need at least one year of experience before you can work with a travel agency. But establishing a relationship with a recruiter now is a great idea.
Best of Luck

pstan

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:33 am
Jobs
Try California first. look for a CNA hospital (California Nursing Association). I have worked in many states for many years, now in Florida. I found California to be one of the easiest to gain a licensure, and excellent work environment. One thing you may want to keep in mind....Training...a lot of hospitals will offer you a job. However my advise would be pick the one which offers the most internship and strong training background.
Graduating from nursing school with honors 3.8GPA I thought I would do well upon graduation-BSN...however nusing school only prepares you with the basics. You will learn it is entirely different in the real world...I currently work in an ICU as charge nurse, having left an open-heart recovery unit, and miss open heart....You will, I hope migrate to a speciality and find your calling. If I had not received excellent training upon graduation I feel as though I may have been lost for quite a while.. I hope this helps you as I tend to drag things out Crying or Very sad ...One last thing...Money is not everything..... Very Happy

mclainmeister

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 07:37 am
Jobs do not grow on trees
I find myself in a troublesome situation. I'm a recent RN grad,
graduating summa cum laude, passed the NCLEX, willing to
relocate, will work any shift, BUT I'm 50 years old. I have been
on 16 job interviews since April and always get the 'thanks for
coming' handshake, soon followed by the 'you're great but we
hired someone else' letter. What could I be doing wrong at the
interviews? I dress, am polite, am prompt,...what? I feel as
if all the work I did to get this far and all that I learned is slipping
away. PLEASE tell me that age descrimination is NOT alive and
well in PA.
KMAC

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Permanent Nursing
  3. » Looking for a job as a new RN grad.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 02:17:08