hands off or on?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Permanent Nursing
  3. » hands off or on?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

mindy 1

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 05:22 pm
hands off or on?
Looking for advice from someone who has chosen to take a position that didn't involve bed-side care. Did you enjoy working hands off or did you miss interacting with the patients?

imchurch

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:17 pm
Hi. I've held many positions that were "officially" hands off type positions. In most of them I *did* have patient contact, just was not responsible for the direct care. I have enjoyed all of my positions equally...hands on and hands off...so I can recommend both. Most of the hands off type positions were actually managerial/supervisory type positions, so plenty of people and patient contact.

Robyn 28

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 11:15 pm
Do you guys want patient contact?

Scott Bushey

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 02:10 pm
I don't want to sound bitter, but the system has ruined the side of me that wants to touch patients any longer. The money is poor, the hours grueling and the doctors in the hospital are impossible; not to mention trying to decipher their handwriting. One hospital in Miami was implementing the mop and bucket phenomenom. Upon discharge, the nurse would strip the bed, empty the trash and mop the floor. I kid you not!

imchurch

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 04:13 pm
Patient contact
Well....I do like patient contact sometimes....other times I could definitely do without it. What are you doing? Maybe I should be looking at something else! Smile

Scott Bushey

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 07:59 am
Well,
I moved away from hands on about 5 years ago. I was working in a large clinic setting prior to that. After that , I began case management for a large insurance firm here in Florida as their transplant coordinator. At present, I am a medical planner for a small but vibrant architectural firm. What I do is as far away from medicine as I have ever been. We build turn key Outpatient Surgical Centers. MY job is to create the fluidity between the architects (who have no medical expertise) and the buying doctors. I also am responsible for the buying. It is exciting and IMO a relief. The money is about triple and the work enjoyable.

declair16netzeronet

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:53 am
hands on care
Hi:
Even after 27 some years of nursing I enjoy hands on nursing, but I don't have the energy for an eight hour shift. I would prefer a desk job with decent pay and decent hours this way I could use my experience. I am not ready to retire

abby 1

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 06:14 am
I have actually held 2 positions that didn't involve dirct pt care or bed side nursing.It was more managerial,& I HATED IT !!! I quit & got back in to bedside nursing coz i just love pt interaction.Besides managerial positions r too much stress plus u always end up working at home too,which sux.But i guess it depends on the person... Laughing

wqrnma

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:48 pm
hands off
I have been hands off for a few years. I do miss some aspects of hands on nursing. But I do not miss the back aches, long hours, and messy incidents to clean up.
There is something to say about alternative nursing.
Though to keep up with the fast changing medical field it would be wise to keep your hands in if even slightly

ECorr60

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 04:00 pm
Re: hands off or on?
mindy wrote:
Looking for advice from someone who has chosen to take a position that didn't involve bed-side care. Did you enjoy working hands off or did you miss interacting with the patients?

I have worked administration for last 4 years or so. Used to like it alot, but now the burn-out is becoming an issue. There are times I would really like to return to bedside nursing. I had plans to change and improve nursing in our hospital, but the barriers with the "higher-ups", staff and other administrative people do not give much satisfaction.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Permanent Nursing
  3. » hands off or on?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:23:41