Interview Tips - Dress to Impress

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Permanent Nursing
  3. » Interview Tips - Dress to Impress

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 06:20 pm
Dress to impress on interviews. I can't tell you how many people dress inappropriately for interviews. I know that most hospitals are casual atmospheres, but you should look in the mirror before your interview and ask yourself if your attire is appropriate.

Do's
* Ideally, you should dress a level above the person conducting the interview. Not because you want to show the person up...but because you want to show them that you are taking the interview and the job you are interviewing for seriously.
* Men - Wear a dark suit (blue, dark grey or black), white shirt, and a dark conservative tie.
* Women - Dress consirvatively. Preferably a business suit, or medium/long length skirt.
* If you have a video camera, then video yourself sitting down for a mock interview. Be consious of your posture and how you place your legs when you sit. Ask yourself if you appear confident. Then try to mirror that body language during your interview.

Do Not's
* Do not wear scrubs....the goal of an interview is to make an impression that stands out. I know you wear scrubs to the hospital regularly, and that everyone you see will be in scrubs...but the point is to make a positive impression.
* Don't wear overpowering perfume or cologne. I know it smells good to you, but a small spray is more than enough.
* Don't wear socks that don't match.

bethann 1

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 01:20 am
interview dressing
socks that dont match...right.

stellar 1

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 10:19 am
Also, spell cons(e)rvatively, with an "E" not an "I" Very Happy

TeleNurseboy

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:38 pm
i have always just worn a long sleeve shirt and tie. i have never not gotten a job so i guess it works well. remember as a nurse unless you either really really suck, have discipline on your file, or act plain ole dumb you will get a job.

TammySue

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 04:18 pm
TeleNurseboy wrote:
remember as a nurse unless you either really really suck, have discipline on your file, or act plain ole dumb you will get a job.

this has now changed. nurses can't get job in this area for the last few months.

leomartin6

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:55 am
I found a lot of useful information from this particular place. I'll keep these tips in my mind ... Very Happy

RonW

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:58 am
Your interview begins when you arrive at the company. Learn how to make a good impression from the word go and leave behind a positive impact with everyone you have encountered at the company.

Know how to greet your interviewer and how to match your communication style to the interviewer.

Be aware of the message your body language is sending and understand the messages you are receiving from the interviewer. View the proven techniques that you can use during the interview to establish excellent rapport with your interviewer. Consider all options to a successful interview.

youngschultz

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 08:01 am
what to wear..
be look good and feel confident! anywhere we go even if we are going to the hospital for a duty, we should wear our nursing uniforms even if its printed scrubs or plain one, provided that we are comfortable enough caring for patients.

delilah1

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 01:12 pm
all very useful if u dont take it too seriously...to dress up more than your interviewer is ok if u have telepathy skills ...at interview often they suggest to imagiine others in their underwear to put u at ease so going in clothes rather than swimwear is probably about right .....shame u didnt clean your footwear of the dog dirt u stood in though...sorry but please take this in the fun way it is intended....and the suggestion that u will get a job because you are a nurse is just sooo not true.....do your homework about ethics/area u hope to work in and legislation...there are nurses without jobs so you need to make a positive impact..... :wink:

larryblossom

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 01:28 am
@RN Recruiter,
RN Recruiter wrote:

Dress to impress on interviews. I can't tell you how many people dress inappropriately for interviews. I know that most hospitals are casual atmospheres, but you should look in the mirror before your interview and ask yourself if your attire is appropriate.

Do's
* Ideally, you should dress a level above the person conducting the interview. Not because you want to show the person up...but because you want to show them that you are taking the interview and the job you are interviewing for seriously.
* Men - Wear a dark suit (blue, dark grey or black), white shirt, and a dark conservative tie.
* Women - Dress consirvatively. Preferably a business suit, or medium/long length skirt.
* If you have a video camera, then video yourself sitting down for a mock interview. Be consious of your posture and how you place your legs when you sit. Ask yourself if you appear confident. Then try to mirror that body language during your interview.

Do Not's
* Do not wear scrubs....the goal of an interview is to make an impression that stands out. I know you wear scrubs to the hospital regularly, and that everyone you see will be in scrubs...but the point is to make a positive impression.
* Don't wear overpowering perfume or cologne. I know it smells good to you, but a small spray is more than enough.
* Don't wear socks that don't match.

It is important tips if you wear formals in interview then it is very helpful in selection time so always follow these tips and do your best in front of recruiter.

MitchellFerrel

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 01:43 am
Nice information shared by you. It helps anyone a lot to make a sensible outlook when he/she will go for an interview.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Permanent Nursing
  3. » Interview Tips - Dress to Impress
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:43:50