per diem vs traveling

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Per Diem Nursing
  3. » per diem vs traveling

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

mrt76

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 06:21 pm
per diem vs traveling
I have been a traveler for over 4yrs and I have taken up per diem work with a company. I have worked 2 shifts and so far have not liked it. I loved being a traveler, but this per diem stuff sucks. I walk into a facility, I get report and get sent out to work on the floor not having a clue where anything is, not having computer access, etc. The staff have been ok, but dont seem overly friendly either. I have never felt this "out of the water" in all the time I have traveled. Am I just jumping without giving this a good shot or is this the way per diem goes. I'm sure it doesnt help that I am usually a L&D nurse and all the per diem around here is floor, rural hospital and nursing home. any advice?

Sagi1783

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 03:44 am
l/d vs med-surg
have u ever traveled l/d? i am thinking about getting l/d experience for 2 years and then traveling with it Confused ...i have been in med-surg for 2 years already...
i am wondering, isn't l/d pretty much cut-n-dry everywhere? Idea not really like the large variety of things in med-surg??
thanks for any reply :wink:

mrt76

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:40 am
For the most part yes, cut and dry. altoght, it depends on what type of unit you work on. Some are conservative, some are proactive in their management. Although, I have always said, I can deliver a baby anywhere, give me a pair of scissors and two clamps, and I will figure out the rest as I go. Most places have central monitoring anymore, but that is just figuring out the specs for each system. I'm not saying its a piece of cake, but I'm a person that adapts very quickly, that I why I love to travel. L&D is good for traveling, but you have to have a good solid base of knowledge, they expect you to know what you are doing. I have gotten no more than 1/2-2 days of orientation on a unit for the last 3yrs, everywhere I have been. I would suggest getting a minimum of 2 yrs experience in a high risk, high volume, facility, then anywhere else you go will be easier or about the same.
Hope I helped, and good luck!

Sagi1783

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 10:34 pm
RE:
but overall....is it not as broad as med/surg????
i am a fast learner....i personally prefer postpartum but the facility that i am considering has l/d in with pp so it's like i can't have one without the other. (i am okay with that)[/b]

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Per Diem Nursing
  3. » per diem vs traveling
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:14:12