Anyone travel with cats??

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Anyone travel with cats??

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 07:27 pm
Anyone travel with cats??
I have two cats (a 4 year old tabby and a 3 year old siamese). I want to travel but will not leave or give away my kitties (they will come with me). I am concerned that this might be stressful or difficult for them. Any travelers out there with cats?? Any thoughts or tips would be helpful. Do you fly or drive with your cats when you travel? My cats are somewhat comfortable in a car though have never attempted long drives (they come out to my mom's occasionally).

jrlysak

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:08 pm
Travle Ctas
Very Happy Hi,

I have two cats, both about 2.5 yrs old and have been a traveler for the past 2 years. Last year the girls did over 12000 miles by car and another 2-3K by air.

When in the car I allow them to roam free, they are both strictly indoor cats. At night they are first into the motel room and in the morning generally the last out.

The only problem I've had is in the morning. Most motels are getting smart and enclosing the base of the beds so animals can't clime up under them. Those that don't may require you to turn the bed over to find kitty. I've found Motel 6 the most accommodating.

Of all the traveling, only once has one of the girls tried and gotten out at a pit stop. I got lucky and she ran into a dead end corner so freedom was short. I initially started out providing water and food during the trip but soon realized they weren't interested. Now I make that a priority when we stop for the day. I also travel with their litter box. Sometimes they use it but mostly one or the other uses it to hide in.

I make it clear to whatever agency/recruiter I'm working with that no cats, no Travel. I haven't had a problem yet. Even if I have them provide housing, they will front any deposit and take it from the 1st pay check. Generally you can find an efficiency motel on your own that doesn't require a deposit and the housekeepers will work with you about the cats and cleaning the room.

Hope this helps!

John
[email protected]

darlwill

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:52 pm
CATS TRAVEL OK
i have taken my 3 cats with me to 2 travel assignments that required driving from oregon to oklahoma, then 3 mos later on to arkansas, then 3 mos later back to oregon - i also tell the recruiter that housing must allow cats - (i don't specify (3) ) - the older cat 10y travels in her own carrier - the younger 2, brother and sister, who are 3y travel together in another large carrier - i drive only 8-9 hours a day so stay in several motels along the way - i stay only in motels/hotels that have outside entrances and take only ground floor rooms - first in goes the cat box and second dry food and water, then the cats - they are inside cats only at home so they enjoy exploring a new hotel room each night - after they settle down they get a can of food - a few hours later i take away the canned food leftovers - in the morning they don't get their usual can of food - so they don't seem to need a catbox during the driving time - as previously posted the beds that don't have platforms to the floor can be a problem as the cats don't really want to leave for another day in the carriers - esp the older one will get under the bed if she can -
when we arrive at our new apartment they are again thrilled to explore and immediately settle down for the 3 mos -

mattymoves21m

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 11:51 am
cats
some cats dont mind riding in cars as much.. they get weird at first but then get use to it.. i would keep the windows open just a little so the air is coming in really well, so they don get car sick. if you are driving long enough to have to stop at a hotel.motel.. just get a temp litter box and when you stop go in the bathroom and take the kitties with you and put the litter box on the floor so they can use it.

nurserebecca7

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 06:28 pm
I travel with my Devon Rex and he does great! I have found that Best Western is great for overnight stays with pets. They are a bit more expensive, but I feel safe and they are very accomodating.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Anyone travel with cats??
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:24:19