Housing charges after cancellation?? Any recourse?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Housing charges after cancellation?? Any recourse?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:22 pm
Housing charges after cancellation?? Any recourse?
My contract was terminated for "Behavioral issues" or at least that's how it was stated to me on the phone as I've yet to receive A THING in writing. Apparently one of the charge nurses had issue with me, which may I add, she did not bring to me personally. Had I known there was an issue I assure you I would've done all I could to resolve it. Though I wasn't given that opportunity. I was given 3 reasons why the hospital was terminating my assignment..as follows
1. I complained about assignments
2. I was told to cover a lunch and I said "I will, but I'll be a bitch about it"
That absolutely NEVER occurred.
3. I was overheard making negative comments about the charge nurse.

Now, not only is this a non-issue but as a traveler I think sometimes we're targeted so to speak. I had never had any cross words with this person, nor did I refuse any assignment she ever gave me. Needless to say, I was not allowed to speak to anyone in mgmnt at the hospital. All I wanted was to have my time to state my side of the story or try to resolve the issue. I was not given that opportunity. I called my company and was got the same result...nothing. They can fire you for whatever reason the want and you have no right to due process because you're a traveler. My guess is that case load was low, they had too many travelers and if they could let me go for a "personal issue" then they would not be liable to the contract with my company. Of course that leaves me being fired for the first time in my life, 5 hrs from home with 24hrs to get out, unable to stand up for my self professionally, and now apparently owing my company $3200 in housing charges (I was half way through a 6mth assignment. I could go on and on.....
But my question is, Is there anything I can do to fight these charges? I know the contracts are 98% in favor of the company and 2% on your side.
I wasn't let go for performance and I checked the contract..it says they can terminate a contract if the reason is "unresolvable".....who decides what's unresolvable if you aren't given a chance to discuss it?

Has anyone had a similar situation? Are there lawyers who handle these types of contracts. I'm wondering if I have a case for wrongful termination? If you have any info or response Please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thank you,
L

TeleNurseboy

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 09:35 pm
once again this is why its worth the extra money to make your own company. write your own contracts to not allow these things.

Lar81372

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 10:21 pm
Don't need smart comments. Thanks. Was hoping maybe someone had a similar situation. Just trying to find out if I have options.

Thanks again.

TeleNurseboy

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 10:33 pm
no company will go against the hospital. the company will just try to calm you down to go to the next one. they make money from the hospital off of you. they will never do anthing to alienate themselves from the hospital. there are a limited number of hospitals. there are practically unlimited nurses. so its bacially a you lose situation.

nursenikkki

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:20 pm
I am so sorry this crap happens!!!! I know it doesn't help you situation, but I was so scared of something like this happening, so I always take the housing stipend offered to me, its always MORE than enough (even for a hotel, I always call around to all in town and explain what I do, and always recieve a nice cheap rate) Eventually, people are offering me rooms to rent in their homes (usually other singles I work with willing to make an extra hundred or two a month)!!!! But I am paid my stipend weekly, so if a contract ever gets cancelled, I am not made to pay anything back! Because if I had worked that previous week, I get paid my stipend for that week! Kind of handy.
but once again, so sorry crap like that happens....

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Housing charges after cancellation?? Any recourse?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 07:50:50