New to Forum

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » New to Forum

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 07:36 am
New to Forum
Hey everyone,
I am a CVICU/ICU/CCU travel nurse. I spent many years in a unit before traveling. After many contracts I have learned many things and would like to share a few;
1) Larger hospitals seem more traveler friendly than smaller facilities.
2) For the most part avoid CV start up units ( many staff nurses seem to be offended than outsiders are being brought in instead of them being trained for these positions).
3) Do not disclose your pay even when asked by staff ( some become offended that you may receive higher pay to perform the same job).
4) Do not expect more than is outlined in your contract( If you want time off during a contract have it written into you contract).
5) Avoid getting caught up in the hospital politics when possible.
6) Do not complain about assignments, keep a positive attitude and professional appearance.
7) Be thick skinned ( Some staff are not going to be friendly, accept it! Although you will find others are fantastic!)
8) As a male nurse I have figured out 2 things;
A) Many Doctors treat male nurses with more respect than female nurses(Which is very wrong! But a lot of large hospitals have many Middle Eastern Doctors So it is a cultural thing)
B) In every facility I go to there is one nurse out to get me! She is the same nurse everywhere I go! She is a older, overweight white female who is divorced, and will tell you to your face that "MEN DON'T BELONG IN NURSING" I have not figured out how to appease this woman!

RNSC

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 01:38 pm
Ha! Welcome! Good advice!

jasonmern

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 09:53 am
Welcome to the forums.

AshlyRN

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 12:25 am
Me too!
I am also new to this forum. I have recently graduated and passed NCLEX as an RN. My goal is to begin a travel nursing career by the end of the year. I have been perusing this forum and am disheartened to hear that the economic crisis is affecting open positions for travelers. I hope things turn around as I would love to make a life surrounding new places, people, and hard work. I have already begun the process of applying to various agencies online, just to get my name out there. I am not ready to go out and do an assignment quite yet, as I don't want to jeopardize my license by going out too early. I am trying to do my homework and create a list of things I want personally out of traveling and things I should be clarifying with the recruiters. Any and all advice is appreciated from those of you, who have even traveled only once. Smile

odie 1

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 05:28 am
i know her
sorry you have met the fat white divorced old lady but i have met the male dr. that suffers from short man syndrome and just can't get over it. he sure has issues even though he has m.d. behind his name, lol.

TeleNurseboy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 06:20 am
Re: i know her
odie wrote:
sorry you have met the fat white divorced old lady but i have met the male dr. that suffers from short man syndrome and just can't get over it. he sure has issues even though he has m.d. behind his name, lol.

i love taking these doctors down a few pegs. by when they start yelling hang up on them and tell them i am not their wife so i dont have to listen to him yell. these are also the ones that never call back or will yell when you dont call for something. them i just call for everything (your pt hasnt had a bm in three days and abd is slighlty distended. sorry for calling you at 3 am but the pt was concerned Smile) when they dont call back i call the hospital adminstrator at three am to tell them the doctor hasnt called back. i love dealing with these doctors makes my night Smile

TeleNurseboy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 06:24 am
yes i pretty much agree with everything he said. i am also a make nurse and it seems to drive alot of the staff crazy that docs will talk to me at the lunch table and never say a word to the gals. i have also ran into the nurse out to get me and now that i think of it they did meet his profile. both were in maine though. that is the only place i have ran into trouble being a traveler. and 2/3 of hospitals i worked at there hated travlers. last one i did was great. i mean when you boss calls you and says we need you tonight to work in icu. there are no patients in there right now you are only going to be there just in case. you can sleep in the break room and they will wake you up if needed... how can you not love a place like that.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » New to Forum
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 11:52:39