newbie to travel nursing

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » newbie to travel nursing

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 06:55 pm
newbie to travel nursing
Hey there one and all,,,,Im getting my plans together to take my OR experience on the road. I want to go to San Diego in January...\Any adivise??? Im so confused about all the recruiters who call me 24/7 but the jobs don't sound so great. Im from the Phila area. Saw some posts from other travelers at my old hospital...AEMC (Albert Einstein).
What is the deal with these travel agencies?? Can I trust them??
I've been reading about the advise from others...but if you've NEVER done it bbefore...what do you ask for. I know I want nice housing...but then do I make crappy wages??? Where's the MOST bang for the buck???

TeleNurseboy

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 09:01 pm
Re: newbie to travel nursing
lindabrn wrote:
Hey there one and all,,,,Im getting my plans together to take my OR experience on the road. I want to go to San Diego in January...\Any adivise??? Im so confused about all the recruiters who call me 24/7 but the jobs don't sound so great. Im from the Phila area. Saw some posts from other travelers at my old hospital...AEMC (Albert Einstein).
I've been reading about the advise from others...but if you've NEVER done it bbefore...what do you ask for. I know I want nice housing...but then do I make crappy wages??? Where's the MOST bang for the buck???

first no never trust a recruiter. they are like an insurance salesman. the less you make the more they make. they will sell you the world and screw you over in a minute. don't think that oh my company wouldn't do that.... get everything in writing. don't trust them. if they say they are going to give you x on a certain date and you don't get it that day call them. you will get the oh we forgot we are sorry routine. things like end of contract bonuses come to mind here.
first dont tell them that you are a new travel nurse. tell the that you are a nurse looking for an assingment in san diego. they will say you have to fill out 400 or so pages of paper work before they give you a quote on what you will make (they do this to discourage you from shopping around for a higher wage since you will not fill out more then 2 or 3 applications unless you are a severe glutton for punishment.) always take the money and either find you own house or like one company did for me they would find you 5 or 6 apartments you go look at them you negotitate the price and then they pay for them but it comes from your check. in all honesty housing doesnt matter i have lived in the ghetto for an assignment and still had a blast. dont get too hung up on housing because it is just a temporary place to sleep between work and fun. if you dont have family a studio apartment is all you need. you dont need 3 bedrooms in case mom and dad want to spend the weekend one week thats what hotels are for Smile
most bang for you buck is in washington state or maine. they are the two highest paid states right now. when i was in washington i made between 48-75 an hour depending on the hospital and how short staffed they were. maine i did between 48-60 an hour
the rest kinda comes with experience. after your first assingment you will be a pro, after your second and third you will become highly sought if you are good Smile

stellar 1

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 07:08 am
I am new to this, or will be in two months. How exactly do you negotiate those types of hourly wages, or are you quoting the housing stipend in that? I lived in the middle-east so I am no stranger to bargaining, but the quoted rates (before negotiation) I am seeing are pathetic for the south (28-32/hr) and for the west 33-37/hr, with WA being the highest and southern Ca also pathetic. I personally don't want to take anything less than what I make now and that is 34/hr plus a diff of 4 so 38...Do I just play one agency against another. I am also worried about what seems to be the decreased number of listed jobs. I think it is naive to think the economy isn't going to affect the industry at all...You seem pretty savvy on this front teleboy so your input would be appreciated.

TeleNurseboy

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:48 pm
i am on my 10th contract Smile which i have extended or it would be my 13th.
ask them up front for more money. if they dont say ok i will think about it. remember they make money off of you. without you working they make no money. the bill rate for most of washington state (what the hospital pays the company) is about 60 bucks an hour. that means if they are paying you 37 with a housing stipend they are keeping about 828 a week from you. there are things they have to pay and they do need to make some money since they are a buisness i understand that. but they should be able to pay you atleast 45 bucks an hour in washington state and still be able to pay their bills and pocket some money. i have told people before i dont even both following up if they offer less then 40 bucks an hour regarudless of were the assingment is at. i am currently in florida and i am currently makeing about 49 an hour.
in florida alot of the hospitals only use one or two agencies. this means that any contracts have to go through that agency. take HCA for example. they only use all about staffing. if the hospital is an HCA facility the contract will go through the compnay you are with and all about staffing. that is why you will hear oh florida only pays 20 bucks an hour for travelers. but what is really happening is that all about staffing is paying 50 bucks and hour and your company is taking off their cut (most will take off about 25 bucks an hour off of the bill rate)

stellar 1

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 09:43 pm
That is very interesting. Where are some of the states you have had contracts? Where in FL are you now. I live in Tampa. I am seriously thinking about Alaska for the summer and then New England for fall; I will watch Maine if as you say it pays the best. The first assignment I really wanted was western NC, but again, I see a drop in available contracts and the quoted rates are terrible ($30). I know I could go to Alaska now, but they are only offering $36 (before negotiation) and it be mighty cold up there right now Laughing There is another site where a number of seasoned travelers described the same drop in available contracts, going as far as to say, "it is the worst in 12 years of travel nursing." I am waiting a few more weeks and will evaluate the selection then, and then talk business. If you are near Tampa, PM me (if this site is one where you can do that?) and we can meet for coffee and talk travel Smile

TeleNurseboy

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 08:48 pm
stellar wrote:
That is very interesting. Where are some of the states you have had contracts? Where in FL are you now. I live in Tampa. I am seriously thinking about Alaska for the summer and then New England for fall; I will watch Maine if as you say it pays the best. The first assignment I really wanted was western NC, but again, I see a drop in available contracts and the quoted rates are terrible ($30). I know I could go to Alaska now, but they are only offering $36 (before negotiation) and it be mighty cold up there right now Laughing There is another site where a number of seasoned travelers described the same drop in available contracts, going as far as to say, "it is the worst in 12 years of travel nursing." I am waiting a few more weeks and will evaluate the selection then, and then talk business. If you are near Tampa, PM me (if this site is one where you can do that?) and we can meet for coffee and talk travel Smile

i currently live about 30 miles north of Tampa Smile i have been to Texas, Maine, Florida, and Washington state. i will be going to alaska this May hopefully. if you are only getting quoted in the 30's unless that is were they pay for your house and everything i would change companies. i always take the subsidy. they take like 2k a month for an apartment that you can get for like 800 so it pays to do some work yourself. if you are willing to work any floor/shift it is not that bad in travel nursing. i am working in florida making almost 50 an hour on day shift Smile sometimes you may not get to pick the exact city you want but if you are flexible you will be ok. i did not want to go to seattle since i had friends that were in southern washington but i just went there and drove to see them. i dont get every city i want but i havent minded anyhting and have never not had a contract.

stellar 1

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 07:37 am
Happy Thanksgiving to all. Teleboy, email me and we can arrange to have coffee during your Florida stay and talk travel if you like. I have traveled around quite a bit in my life, but only twice with an agency. I did live in Alaska (Sitka) also but it was years ago. I wouldn't mind hearing your stories and picking your brain for insights into this travel nurse thing. I live in North Tampa so you couldn't live too far away. We can meet halfway, or you can come into Tampa as I don't know any good places north of here. All well. [email protected]

saneORnurse

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 11:59 am
Re: newbie to travel nursing
lindabrn wrote:

Hi! Im a nurse in Philly who is thinking about moving to San Diego as well. I'm a bit reluctant because i've never moved across the country by myself and known absolutely no one in the state. My entire family lives in the south. I would love to chat with you about your specialty and what info you may have gotten so far to help you make a decision. I was planning to try to go in March. please give me a shout- [email protected]

AshlyRN

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 01:01 am
Two Questions
TeleNurseboy wrote:
i am on my 10th contract Smile which i have extended or it would be my 13th.
ask them up front for more money. if they dont say ok i will think about it. remember they make money off of you. without you working they make no money. the bill rate for most of washington state (what the hospital pays the company) is about 60 bucks an hour. that means if they are paying you 37 with a housing stipend they are keeping about 828 a week from you. there are things they have to pay and they do need to make some money since they are a buisness i understand that. but they should be able to pay you atleast 45 bucks an hour in washington state and still be able to pay their bills and pocket some money. i have told people before i dont even both following up if they offer less then 40 bucks an hour regarudless of were the assingment is at. i am currently in florida and i am currently makeing about 49 an hour.
in florida alot of the hospitals only use one or two agencies. this means that any contracts have to go through that agency. take HCA for example. they only use all about staffing. if the hospital is an HCA facility the contract will go through the compnay you are with and all about staffing. that is why you will hear oh florida only pays 20 bucks an hour for travelers. but what is really happening is that all about staffing is paying 50 bucks and hour and your company is taking off their cut (most will take off about 25 bucks an hour off of the bill rate)

Two questions: How do you figure the company is taking $828 from you as part of the housing stipend - how did you come up with that number? What would you say is fair for a new graduate RN (i will likely have a year or two experience before i travel) to ask for on a travel assignment as far as hourly wage goes?

babyrnlis2

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 12:57 pm
ALASKA
I went to Fresno last year; Loved the city, hated my job. I would really like to try again. Would love to head to Alaska for the summer. Any ideas city to head to?? Would love to hear from you;
[email protected]

cathywv

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 10:58 am
New to traveling also
Hi Everyone,

It is so good to read blogs from nurses who have experienced travel. It seems ideal, but like everything in life...I am sure there are short falls.

My husband is retiring this month so we are no longer tied to one area. I have been an RN for 24 years with varied specialties throughout the years. Does anyone know if all my experience will count or must it be a specialty I have worked in the last few years or so?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » newbie to travel nursing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.26 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 02:58:49