What a let down!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » What a let down!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 09:33 pm
What a let down!
Wow, I just spent 90 minutes talking with a recruiter from Access and what a dissappointment! She's been with them for a year. The agency forms she emailed me say I may have to set up my own utilities and pay deposits in some of the housing, getting a washer/dryer is a seperate cost, says they don't have a per diem or tax advantage plan except to include housing or stipened although I can negotiate with them for meals, oh yeah, I can negotiate for travel above the $250 there and $250 back which looks like it is "eventually" reimbursed, there after 100 hours, back who knows when. Sounded a bit shady if the "back" wasn't going to become the "there" of the next assignement. Will pay your COBRA if you don't take their insurance, oh but not the week or so during your travel between assignments. Their insurance doesn't kick in for 50 days if you start after the 11th of the month, but they swear they will pay for COBRA if you have health care costs. If you start before the 11th it still doesn't kick in till the next month. The agency holds your last paycheck until the apartment gives the okay that there is no damage, so maybe you should pay your own deposit, you pay the cost for a physical and your immunization titers, they'll pay for drug screen and background check, then the kicker, New England pays in the range of $26/hr because "housing is so expensive." I'm thinking I'll look further. Can any of the experienced travelers tell me of this sounds exploitative or is this just the norm?

joeRN

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 02:45 pm
I'm surprised you had such a bad experience with Access. I've been a travel nurse with Access for awhile and I couldn't be happier. I'm wondering if you just got a bad apple recruiter (it happens everywhere I suppose). Not sure, but you may want to ask for someone else. I work with Jessica in case you want a good reference. Anyway, here are some of my thoughts on what you wrote...

My recruiter set up all of my utilities and deposits. Access pays up to 100 bucks for my bills like water and electricity. I don't even worry about the bills because they don't even come to me. I was reimbursed for my plane ticket when I took a travel nurse job in Mass. I use the insurance provided by Access Nurses, so I'm not sure about the Cobra. There was an enrollment period, like 30 days. The coverage is amazing...medical, dental, vision, 401k and life insurance. I've never had any of my paychecks held from me for any reason.

I hope this helps you out. You have to go with what company makes you feel confident. I love working with Access Nurses, but everyone is different and has different needs. Good luck.

nursenikkki

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 06:54 pm
I have been with Access for awhile, Rich is my recruiter, couldn't have asked for a better recruiter! He lays it all down on the line for me, and tells me the best options for me. I don't have insurance through Access..I have a nice cheap plan from BCBS. Sorry you had a bad experience with Access. I have never had a paycheck held either. Weird...talk with a different recruiter!

Born2RunRN

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 05:36 pm
Hi stellar!

I just read your post and i say run very far and very fast from that company if that is what they are telling you. I disagree that you got a "bad" recruiter especially if they have been there for a year, they are obviously familiar with the company policies and such. Furthermore, if they sent you the forms on Access letterhead, it is kind of hard to deny that is company policy.
I am not sure where you are planning to travel to but if its not to Florida, then I would say give Fastaff a call. They pay pretty well, best I ever made, and everything is 100% set up for you, no utilities to pay or deposit, no washer or dryer being extra cost, etc.
I am not with them right now as i am currently in Florida and that is one of the states they don't send nurses to because they cant get hospitals down here to pay the rates they want in order to pay their nurses top salary.

Other companies to look into are Travel Nurse Solutions and RN Network. i have heard nothing but good things about Travel Nurse Solutions and pretty decent things about RN Network as well.

Hope this helps in some way. I am not on here much, but if you have any other questions, you can contact me at [email protected]

Denise

peachy13rn

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 05:47 pm
A bad recruiter can make the whole company look bad. I just signed on with Cirrus and like them; I was with Innovative Placements before that and didn't have too many issues, but didn't jive well with my recruiter; and I'm not a demanding person in any way. I hear Intellistaff is good, as well as Cross Country. Don't be afraid to demand what you need. Because if something happens, YOU will be the one to suffer, not the travel company.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » What a let down!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:08:14