New to Travel

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » New to Travel

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Erikka7

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:44 am
New to Travel
Hi--After a year of ICU in Chicago I moved to Miami and started a travel nursing job. My agency is Medical Express. Looking through the forum I couldn't find any reviews/opinions of this company. Anyone have any thoughts? They seem great so far.

I work nights at Jackson Memorial's MICU. The nurses there are incredibly nice and welcoming. I feel very lucky. I was afraid they would eat me alive. I feel more like staff than a temporary employee.

A few questions: Through my agency I get $32/hr plus housing stipend and health insurance. Is it normal not to be given a weekend differential? Do agencies usually do one flat rate? I am working a lot of weekends and don't want to be robbed of any hard earned money. Are agencies generally hard to negotiate with? I want to extend my contract, but would like to get the weekend differential with this next time around.

Sometimes I think I should just shut up and be thankful I am getting what I am which is more than what I am used to.

Thankful for the forum and any advice!!!

peachy13rn

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 05:02 pm
I am on my second travel assignment with Innovative Placements. NO, as a traveler, you usually don't get any differential. Yes you can ask for more money. I work with a guy who is very experienced and even owns his own agency. He says to make sure your housing stipend is NOT taxed......you'll make more money that way; also, his advice is to sign up with several agencies, so you can be sure to get what you want. Don't be afraid to demand what you want. Sure, you need to be flexible in some things, but don't get screwed. Look out for yourself.

Sailing Nurse

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 01:50 am
Erikka7 new traveler
Welcome to traveling and it is great that your first assignment is a positive one. $32/hr for Florida isn't bad. I travel with NursesRx which is a sister company with Medical Express, American Mobile, and O'Greddy Patton. So recruiters will not give you everything you should get. I get weekend/night/charge differentials on all assignments. Do not be afraid to ask for them. If the Hospital/recruiter does don give them to you take another assignment. When you talk with your recruiter, mention that other travelers there with other companies are getting the diff's and ask if you could get them. The affect is the recruiter will think that you might want to change travel companies. You will be surprised how things will change and your recruiter will start to give you what everyone else gets.

ICURN2000

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 01:34 pm
My wife and I own our own travel agency, and YES, you should ALWAYS negotiate with agencies.

Agencies operate off the hard work of RN's, and their biggest fear is that they may lose nurses.

If you are new to traveling (and they know that) they will try to slice a few dollars in their favor.....adds up to BIG bucks out of your pocket over a 13 week contract.

Most agencies pay a flat rate, however, that is NOT a rule.

ALWAYS ask, the worst you can ever hear is "no".

Tax advantage is a great way to go, but be careful, A LOT of agencies have been getting in trouble with this.

Many agencies pay a "completion bonus" for fullfilling all 13 weeks...unfortunately there are travelers among us that are not reliable, or work oriented. However, this is to your benefit if you are!

ALWAYS ASK!!!

Once you start working the contract talk to other travelers...away from staff...NEVER, NEVER talkin front of staff about your pay $$$$$$$$, they will become jealous, think you are bragging...and be disgruntled towards you.

Great idea to be with several agencies,....we stay in contact and keep the paper current with several, but lately (past 4-5 years) work exclusively through Halostaffing.com. They are a great, smaller company. Very responsive to RN's, their recruiter (Tara) is an ICU RN with years of experience as a traveler, so she HAS been there. Have kept me in back-to-back, top-paying gigs, with the best BONUS program in the industry!!!

Read my post under "Best Travel Agencies". OR, check out their site.

I am NOT a recruiter, but if you decide to apply, please use me as the "Referral"...Christopher Mulloney, RN...any questions I am on face book!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » New to Travel
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:43:44