How is life traveling with dogs?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » How is life traveling with dogs?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:04 pm
I was just wondering how everyone that travels with pets do. Do your dogs get used to it. Handle the change well? Housing okay.
I traveled for 5 1/2 years, than took a perm job, but now want to go back on the road, but have two dogs under the weight of 25 pounds, and would
like to take them with. Let me know how life on the road is with pets.
Thanks.

mkpureuse

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 06:29 pm
I've traveled with cats. Before 9/11 you could take them into the cabin and store them under the seat -- a kitty carry-on Smile. Now, I don't know, maybe they think you can make an ied out of a pet.

ernurse

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 10:28 pm
life traveling with dogs
My husband and I traveled with 2 dogs, 1 cat and 1 cockatiel. Now, we have 3 dogs and plan on returning to travel within the year. We also have a 40 foot 5th wheel that we purchased after 2 assignments. We travel in that and it is better for us than apartments with the pet deposits! Our dogs always traveled well, the cat slept on my husbands shoulders, the bird...well, he chirped alot..LOL

nmred

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 05:01 pm
Travel nursing with pets
I'm just starting out as a traveler and I have 3 dogs and a Cat. Not a single area will take me. I'm told even with a trailer no one will accept the dogs. So, I may not be traveling as quickly as I hoped. Evil or Very Mad

ernurse

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 06:45 pm
travel with animals
You are not looking at the right companies or something. When I started travel nursing, I went with RNNetwork and they got us apartments that allowed pets. We had a deposit but didn't have any problems. The second time we went travel nursing we had purchased our 5th wheel so we just took the housing allowance and found really nice parks to stay in. We still came out ahead doing that. Actually, we enjoyed it more. That time I was with nursesrx. But I met different travelers with pets also. Check into it more because I know it can be done.

dona22255

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 01:54 pm
Traveling with pets
I've been with several companies and there has never been a problem getting housing. I travel with 2 small dogs and they have become quite good travelers. I have to drive to all my assignments because airlines no longer allow pets in the cabin and most dont allow them in baggage (which I would never do !) Of course I am responsible for pet deposits and any damage they may do. They are great company and a good way to meet new friends when you walk them.

offdutynurse

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 03:14 pm
Re: Travel nursing with pets
nmred wrote:
I'm just starting out as a traveler and I have 3 dogs and a Cat. Not a single area will take me. I'm told even with a trailer no one will accept the dogs. So, I may not be traveling as quickly as I hoped. Evil or Very Mad

[/quote][/b]try nationwide nurses i have traveled w/ 2 dogs for the past 7 years

TNTraveler

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 09:03 am
I have traveled with my small dog for the last 3 years. I have had no problem with housing and She flies under the seat in the cabin of the plane. Most all airlines allow dogs to fly in cabin except Southwest. I generally pay for the apartment deposit but that can be negotiated into you contract. My dog is a great traveler it has become her norm.

trinurse82

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 02:40 pm
I have had issues with apartments too. I did learn that the best thing is to negotiate with a security deposit.

gripprn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:19 pm
I have 3 dogs (muts) and found it easier to find my own housing and then ask for more housing stipend since I am doing the work and paying the bills...just remember we are highly in need, so don't be afraid to ask for more. I have yet to be turned down, good luck.

jilliantheimpossible

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 10:42 pm
scabbing?
i'm a nursing student, and i would love to do travel nursing when i have a few years of experience under my belt. but, i'm pro union and i DO NOT want to cross any picket lines. any advice? particular agencies that have a no strike staffing policy?

TeleNurseboy

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 11:27 pm
ya to the student lose the union loyalities. every union hospital i have worked at pays less then the non union hospitals(on staff) and have worse benefits then all the hospitals. in maine union nurses with 20+ years of exp get a whole 18.65 an hour in seattle it is a whopping 22 (straight out of school) in tampa a non union hospital gets you about 27 an hour (out of school). sooooo the only thing unions help is themsleves.

SweetRN

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 04:02 pm
My dog LOVES traveling!
Hey there! My pomeranian dog Tinky loves to travel with us! Hope your pets enjoy it too. She adjusts quickly to life on the road and going to new places. Never had any problems with her. Our next assignment is in Santa Clara, CA so we're all looking forward to a change. Happy Travels to you and your pets Smile

LittleFlowPro

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 05:50 pm
@nmred,
Maybe not what you are looking for but FYI...Motel 6 doesn't require a pet deposit and they don't have any restrictions on the number or weight of your pets! Good luck!

Eian Mcneely

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2017 08:16 am
I am a travel nurse and have 3 cats. At times its complicated to fulfill the country and airline requirements to travel with pets and some deposit issues

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » How is life traveling with dogs?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:47:01