travel nursing list

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » travel nursing list

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

odie 1

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 11:01 pm
travel nursing list
Would like some info please! Wanting to travel later this year and am open to about anywhere. Am trying to compile a list of things (mainly the bare essentials) to bring if I were to be set up in an apartment. Anyone have a list already created and if so would you mind sharing? Also are the top 10 companies rated by HighwayHypodermics for real or are they just paid advertisers? Thanks so much, [email protected]

HEY JUDE

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 08:08 pm
Re: travel nursing list
odie wrote:
Would like some info please! Wanting to travel later this year and am open to about anywhere. Am trying to compile a list of things (mainly the bare essentials) to bring if I were to be set up in an apartment. Anyone have a list already created and if so would you mind sharing? Also are the top 10 companies rated by HighwayHypodermics for real or are they just paid advertisers? Thanks so much, [email protected]

I have encountered two apartments w/ a TV and most w/out a TV, I stipulate (clearly) the need for a washer and dryer IN the apartment as well as a microwave.
take bare necessity to cook a meal, utensils, linens and bath linens..bare..a towel can do as a bath mat.
I take beach towels, as they can do double duty,pool side and for bath purpose.

most of the time will iron on my bed, will carry an iron and toaster and coffee maker, alarm clock, flashlight, night light, computer or be prepared to purchase these at Wally world. try to shop at Dollar General store for needed items on your list

take your fav CD's and something to play them ..music goes a long way to soothe.I make a couple of copies of my CD's and leave the original at home

take photos of family, I have refrigerator magnets of places I have worked and post photos on my frig.
pack the framed photos carefully in your clothing bags.

take all important papers you keep filed at home, in a folder, separate from your contract travel papers.

birth certificate..passport (in case,just in case someone lures you on a cruise)

have your cell company print out a list of the phone numbers on your cell phone, in case something happens to your cell phone

do the same with your e-mail contacts..can copy and paste them on Word Processor and print

carry a residential phone book from your home town.

make sure all your contact cards are in order, such as your lawyer, tax person, Dr, whatever is important to your needs.

AAA membership or a reputable Road Club is a must

I carry and use a GPS,(when hiking) learned the hard way, when lost in a canyon in Utah for 26 hrs.

when traveling, do not overnight if at all possible in small dinky towns. Large towns with motels on the road are safer. Do not allow them to place you in the back of the motel, your car needs to be as visible as possible. Always carry cameras, computer, money and any expensive jewelry into the motel with you.

Hope some of this helps

Judy

NEHuskerRN

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 03:29 pm
Re: travel nursing list
odie wrote:

As for the travel list of things to take...I agree with the previous poster...
** Computer (LAPTOP) is a must for me to get in contact with my recruiter (easier TYPICALLY to email than phone call with her), plus you can use it as your TV for playing DVDs (plus WiFi is typically easy to find in larger towns...McDs (free at this moment), Panera Bread (Free), Starbucks (T-mobile required), even our local Quiznos has it (Free). I also have all of my family picts on it, so I don't necessarily need to pack pictures, just have a screensaver of family on.
** iPod with all my music (should have gotten something bigger than the 8 gig tho), and the car adapter equipment to use it in the car.
** 2 soft fleece blankets (even if they are supplied, I am cold-natured and sleep in between the 2, plus I am still a little paranoid about who has already slept in those sheets; plus ONE COMFY pillow with case.
** File folder with copies of RN licensure (I keep all originals in my safety deposit box at home), medical records, referral letters (and try to get one or two filled out per assignment to keep up records), ACLS/BLS/CCRN/CEN and other certs (again, keeping the originals in safety deposit box) and other info that you would have originally sent to your recruiter. (Remember, you may not be happy after the first assignment and need to start filling out new apps online during your current assignment--I have actually scanned these documents into my computer so that I can email out info if needed.) Also, have office supplies in this box: envelopes, sticky notes, couple of pen/pencils, mini-stapler/staple remover, paper clips, TAPE, stationary and stamps, and some of those clear plastic holders to keep receipts in. Finally, got to Traveltax.com or Kobaly.com and get their tax prep guide to keep your finances in order.
** 4-piece set of plates (corell doesn't break), and cheapo-fork/knive/spoon (Or GO PLASTIC--you can just toss then). But remember to bring ONE SHARP KNIFE (it's dual purpose of cutting a tomato, and god-forbid, security! Smile and can-opener.
** DVD's (I've puchased a DVD/CD holder for 100-discs and placed ALL of my DVD's in this (front cover and all). Increases my avail of favorite movies, in a decreased area...you can add you CDs in there too, if the iPod isn't an option.
** Downy Wrinkle Release really works well on scrubs, and you don't have to pack an iron...just remember to follow the directions; may not work as well on nice clothes tho. (I don't iron!)
** Pack you clothing in a laundry basket, and then you have that for the wash.
** CELLPHONE and the car & house chargers. After destroying my home charger and almost losing my car charger, my husband found this setup at Radio Shack called iGo or something like that; it has removable plugins so you can use the same cable for more than one phone, and they have both car and house adapters. This way I could be charging my phone or his phone in the car with only ONE cord (we have both adapters in the car at all times), then if one of our phones die, we just have to get the little head-adapter, and not change out all of the cords involved.
** Phone cards (although I've NEVER used it) just incase your cell doesn't have strength in your particular area (I've read that BARROW, AK doesn't have cell-coverage).
** Cooler (for the trip and any playtime that you may have)

Signup for Healthcaretraveler.com also. It's free for us (travelers that is), and will have someone's list of things they insist on bringing.

I also have a small tool box (yes toolbox) that has all of my makeup, dryer, flat-iron, frizz-be-gone in it. This way I don't have to look all over for my stuff.

Speaking of tool boxes, make sure to have your car stocked with De-Icer (when you need it, it's always sold out), fix-a-flat (if you want that security), jumper cables, Rain-Ex wipes, a REAL tire-iron (not the little one that the car came with--very cold changing a tire in the snow with that little thing), AAA coverage (or other Roadside, and don't just feel good about the one that comes with your insurance), maps of your area.

I've also seen notes about people bringing their yoga mats and workout stuff (not for me), sewing machine and cutting boards (I do make quilts and keeps me busy).

Hope others will add to your list. Good luck.

jtf77

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 12:34 pm
i'm a man so no laughing

laptop
cell phone
all your business/personal papers
2 suitcases of close, buy the rest at wal-mart (underwear, lounging cheap clothes)
i small shower bag of bathroom stuff
fishing poles, at least 2 and tackle
shotgun, have both bird and rifled barrels
sleeping bag.....ya never know
instant coffee with mug
maps....to find fishing holes
thats really all you need
hope this helps

Laughing

wedgeRN

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 03:26 pm
Before you go filling your car with the things you may not need, ie. cookware and utensils, make sure you know what the travel company is going to supply. The only things I needed to bring were clothing and my pool cue. No linens, TVs, microwaves, it was all supplied.

darlwill

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 06:55 pm
what to take when traveling to new assignment
was really glad to see a couple posts on what to bring - i think Nightingale does not provide any linens, kitchen supplies, etc - but getting ready to go i am looking at what i thought i wanted/needed to take and realizing i have to downsize - the TV they provide but i won't pay to turn on service - it will come in handy for DVDs, tho - i can even do without a microwave - also am thinking i will take my laptop to the library on days off where i can use their wireless as i don't really want to go thru the hassle of turning service on at the apartment - more posts for ANY ideas on the minimum you have found you can get by with in the basic housing would be appreciated!!!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » travel nursing list
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 02:35:25