Hospitals to definately avoid

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Hospitals to definately avoid

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 12:22 pm
Hospitals to definately avoid
Anyone have some thoughts on this? I'm getting ready to change assignments and need some input on which hospitals to avoid.

Eisenhower in Rancho Mirage, Ca is undergoing remodeling the ER AND implementing a new computer charting system for the ER. The staff are nice. Travelers are given critical patients, pt-nurse ratio is good 3-4, critical care is 2.

whoofers

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 02:15 am
What States are you considering? It can help narrow down the possiblites to answer you. In general, Kaiser facilities in CA aren't regarded well in the the travel world; but, I have heard there are some exceptions. Another well known system to avoid is HCA-most of their facilites require passing a PBDS test and a traveler who fails it can find themselves abandoned by their company and homeless/jobless.

neonmedic

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 09:27 pm
PBDS and HCA
I left an HCA just before coming out to CA. I did have to take the PBDS there, but I also had to take one at Eisenhower in Rancho Mirage, as most of the hospitals are going to that now. I was never told about the test until I showed up for my first day of assignment. My travel company wasn't aware at the time either.

Have you heard anything about Tenet hospitals?

whoofers

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 10:50 pm
Re: PBDS and HCA
neonmedic wrote:
I left an HCA just before coming out to CA. I did have to take the PBDS there, but I also had to take one at Eisenhower in Rancho Mirage, as most of the hospitals are going to that now. I was never told about the test until I showed up for my first day of assignment. My travel company wasn't aware at the time either.

Only know about them in Texas. Worked one and found it a pleasant working environment. Not the best paying. A Houston Tenet hospital just went Union (a first for Texas). That says something for the Tenet system.

sassyred

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 07:13 am
Someone tell me, what is PBDS? - please?

whoofers

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:24 am
sassyred wrote:
Someone tell me, what is PBDS? - please?

Here's a link that can explain it a lot better than I can. Arrow

http://www.pantravelers.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4308&Itemid=90

Don't know if you will first need to register [free] to see it since I registered earlier, have the login saved in my computer & can directly access the site through the link I provided.

worthynurse1

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 10:48 pm
gateway medical center in clarksville, TN

they don't have their s__t together and management is lousy.
they just moved into a brand new (what they claim is state of the art, yea right) 20 million dollar facility and all the rooms have......
drum roll please...
double beds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or semi private how ever u want to call it!!!!!
yep thats right becasue after all, hosptials are out to make a buck first and then the patients care comes second.
this is the political focus of this hospital and the wortless administration that staffs it

oh yea, and its ok to have 9 patients and one LPN to give your meds.
no inservice for the travelers on equipment or for that matter what to expect when we get to the new hospital.

most of the nurses are EOL. that stands for extremely obese and lazy!!!!!!
they are reluctant to lend a hand for the travelers or coworkers because either they are too lazy or it causes extreme premature exhaustion or shortness of air.
lots more crap to add
very angry

jbrown9663

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 04:00 pm
Re: PBDS and HCA
neonmedic wrote:

Tenet is not a very good company. However, if you're in Palm Springs and asking about the Tenet hospital there, Desert Regional, I did an assignment there on the medical telemetry unit. The staff and management were wonderful. They get a lot of travelers and are thankful to have them. The ratio is 4:1 and the patients in general are not too bad. The staff on the floor are very helpful.

toreylynn78

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 03:09 pm
I am at a kaiser facility in oregon & love it!! I did hear that kaiser in cali sucks.

jbrown9663

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 10:17 pm
Re: Hospitals to definately avoid
If you come to Florida, definately avoid Bayfront in St Pete. This is not a good hospital for patients, or nurses.

neonmedic wrote:
Anyone have some thoughts on this? I'm getting ready to change assignments and need some input on which hospitals to avoid.

Eisenhower in Rancho Mirage, Ca is undergoing remodeling the ER AND implementing a new computer charting system for the ER. The staff are nice. Travelers are given critical patients, pt-nurse ratio is good 3-4, critical care is 2.

RNtraveler04

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 07:24 pm
Worst Hospital
Avoid FL hospital Altamonte Springs. Especially their so called PCU unit in the new building. The woman manager there is probably one of the worst I have ever worked for, I won't mention her name here.

Vasilake

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 09:15 pm
jlb
BELEVUEHOSPITAL NYCMANHATAN

oceangirl

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 04:32 am
hospitals to avoid
stay away from Columbia University Hospital in Missouri, my first travel assignment and it was hell, the staff there was miserable and they had travelers running the place, you would float almost every four hours if you were a staff member, traveler or not.

candyrntoo

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:20 pm
Re: jlb
Vasilake wrote:
BELEVUEHOSPITAL NYCMANHATAN

Please, of course you are entitled to your opinion and I would never deny your experience. I was a Head Nurse at Bellevue and worked before that in the old Building, general bldg. and both ER's.
It is very specific to work area and shift.
It is the oldest hospital in the US and sees the most trauma cases in NYC and the boroughs especially when dignitaries and the President come to town. During 9/11 BHC was the place to serve. And the NYPD and NYFD all run to the ER when injured.
I know I worked there as an agency RN for many years then staff then Management. It HAS changed a great deal and at times one learns what not to do more than what to do. All that being said, since BHC is on my resume I get hired 99% at the time. I will close with as long as one does not linger there and become used to the "Bellevue way" it is a valuable experience.

annuhlig

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:36 am
ER I've worked, what to avoid
brownsville tx, ER valley regional, busy ALL the time (60 in waiting rooom), traveler friendly for the most part, helpful emt techs, blocked room assignments (you always have a 4 bed or so area...plus hallways) very nice boss (if she's still there). Nurses are nice to work with (for the most part) Live on Padre island which makes up for the slightly sh....ty, busy work.....
Yuma Az...RUN away! The WORST!!
Sioux Falls...very cold staff in general don't help you, dump on travelers, only the jumpsuited nurses and medics (flight nurses) help each other, tons of abdominal pains ....HATE IT!! can't wait til its over
Omaha...cool, funny laid back people, busy, exciting traumas, excellent trauma center!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Hospitals to definately avoid
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:04:35