Travel nursing in Co

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Travel nursing in Co

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 05:47 pm
Travel nursing in Co
Anyone been to Denver? Any particular hospitals to recommend? Have you had any success in negotiating for more than 27.00?

joeRN

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 10:12 am
I worked in Denver at St. Anthony Central Hospital for my last assignment and made $25/hour. I also got a housing stipend and benefits. I'd love to go back because the staff was so great, but I'm making $31 at my new assignment.

Tamarah1715

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:16 am
Who did you go with? What was the staffing like there? Was it team nursing or primary care? Tell me as much as you can please. I find it hard to believe that they can't get you more than 25$ an hour!

joeRN

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 09:50 am
I traveled with AMN when I went to Denver. I really wanted to work at St. Anthony's because I had two friends working there at the time and Access Nurses didn't staff there. All of my other assignments (including my current one) I've worked with Access Nurses and that assignment made me remember why. My recruiter at AMN told me $25/hour was good since they also gave me a housing stipend. Once I got there, though, I talked to other travelres there and they were all making $28+. I was so annoyed. I thought the housing stipend would make it worth it, but it only covered my rent, not my other bills. I finished up that assignment and went back to Access.

The only great part was that assignment the staff was amazing...not at all like the horror stories I'd heard about perm staff treating travelers like dirt. The staff was so warm towards me and the other travelers (there wre three others who worked on my floor). It was primary care. I hope this helps. I'd recommend the hospital for sure as long as you can get a better rate.

Tamarah1715

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 07:14 pm
Colorado
Actually, I have had the recruiters at Access telling me they can't get me more than around 26, any more and they take stuff out of my package to get me at least 28$. I, too, want to go to St Anthony's and they told me that with my "package", I would be making 22$! That's ridiculous! Have you heard of Swedish Medical Center in Englewood? Please tell me this is not typical...I guess I just don't know how to negotiate with these people. Even when I tell them what I want, they still can't get it for me (or they say that) and I'm not sure if they're screwing me or being honest....Advice?

Tamarah1715

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 07:25 pm
PS
Know anything about Swedish Medical Center in Englewood CO?

joeRN

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 09:41 am
Hi Tammy, I just got your email (sorry I don't check my account that often), but I figured I'd just respond here. I've worked with my recruiter Jessica for years so I trust her when it comes to my assignments. I know it's hard starting out with travel companies and wondering if you can trust them. I was worried about being screwed too on money, housing, etc. I got lucky though with Access.

After my bad experience with AMN, I asked my recruiter at Access about pay rates and she said $27 IS good for Denver. I don't know what it is about Colorado. I'd suggest looking for areas that have a higher pay rate if money is a big issue for you. Like I said, I really wanted that hospital in particular, so I dealt with less money. You can be persistent about what you want, but it may be that what you want is not available right now. I have a friend who waited months before taking a job in New York (his dream assignment) because he wanted the perfect package...apartment in the city, weekends off, etc...and it took awhile for it to be available.

Even though I've loved my experience at Access, look around a bit. If other companies are telling you the same prices, then that's just what it is. Be sure to take note of what their giving you for the price (benefits, housing, bonuses, hours, etc). Just because some place can offer you more money, doesn't mean you'll get all the extra stuff too.

Sorry this response is so long...I hope this info helps. I haven't heard anything about Swedish Medical Center, but I'll ask my friends who still work in CO.

Tamarah1715

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 04:44 pm
Access
I have thought about what I want, not being available right now. The only time I heard anything close to 27$ was if i took some things out of my package. I have heard many great things about St Anthony's, but there, the hourly rate was $22. Any info on Swedish would be great if you have it. I have liked my recruiter so far, but as friendly as she is, I can't help but think in the back of my mind that they are worried about their "bottom line". I guess, at some point you have to just jump in...I have been surprised how long the process takes....they make it sound so easy...Thanks for your feedback.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Travel nursing in Co
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 05:15:19