New to travel nursing

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » New to travel nursing

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 03:39 pm
New to travel nursing
I am looking to go to Denver or Jax, Fl in Mid-april and have been checking around to see which company to use. The most promising as far as the integrity of the recruiter is Access Nurses and Preferred Health Care staffing. I looked into American Mobile, but they were really pushy. I have been told that unless you know what to ask for, they won't offer! Any tips on what to ask for and what NEEDS to be stipulated in the contract? This is all new to me and I don't want to get screwed over!

kateyes7

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 12:55 am
I am just about to start my first assignment next month with Cross Country in NY. So far they have been great but I haven't started yet. My best friend used them for a year. If you need a good recruiter's name let me know. Good luck! Oh, heart bad things about American Mobile and didn't get a good impression of Nurses Rx.

AG1KULRN

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 11:25 pm
travel
The only thing I know about American Mobile is this. I came to Phoenix last year originally on a travel with about 25 other travellers to Banner Good Sam, who uses 1000s of travelers. One of the tele nurses I was in orientation with was with American Mobile, and had been for 5 years solid. Good Sam is in the habit of hiring loads of travelers then finding stupid reasons to cancel their contract (the government told them they have to hire so many American nurses before they can bring in the cheaper Filipinos). Out of the 26 travellers that started, 18 were cut within 6 weeks, myself and the American Mobile nurse included. When she tried to get another assignment, Amer. Mobile told her to CALL BACK NEXT YEAR because they couldn't use her for that long due to Good Sam's contract cancellation.
What was her contract cancelled for, you ask?
Not reporting to an Ultrasound tech the patient's diagnosis (as if they need that). The US tech wrote her up and she was out the door without a 2nd glance. They didn't even counsel or anything, just cancelled her contract (& apparently they do so much business w/Amer Mobile that the company wasn't willing to re-use this nurse whom had never had a bad report or black mark in 5 years).

If you're going to travel, here's a good thing to stipulate in the contract - your housing. If, by some chance, something goes wrong and the contract gets cancelled - the agency has the right to THROW YOU OUT ON THE STREET IN 48 HOURS. Believe me, I had it happen with Aureus Nursing (I call them STAPH AUREUS - Avoid them like the plague). Put it in the contract that no matter what, that housing is yours for the length of the contract. Then at least, if something bad happens, you have a place to stay for 3 months. I had 48 hours to repack 3 months worth of stuff, get out AND find another place to stay. Luckily, the complex they'd put me up in had a 3rd floor 1-BR available or I'd've been homeless. When I couldn't get the keys to the manager until Monday (they told me to get out over a weekend) because they were closed, the agency took my pay for the week of orientation, saying I owed them that for 1 weeks rent at the place I was staying! I got one check from that agency for $0.00 - every dime was taken back for taxes or agency "costs" due to my not relocating in a timely manner!
I personally don't travel anymore. I just move somewhere and get a job. At least as staff, places are willing to fix stuff they see as wrong with you!
Angela

whoofers

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 02:25 am
kateyes7 wrote:
I am just about to start my first assignment next month with Cross Country in NY. So far they have been great but I haven't started yet. My best friend used them for a year. If you need a good recruiter's name let me know. Good luck! Oh, heart bad things about American Mobile and didn't get a good impression of Nurses Rx.

Where in NY is the assignment & how are you liking the company & hospital so far?

whoofers

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 02:32 am
Re: travel
AG1KULRN wrote:
The only thing I know about American Mobile is this. I came to Phoenix last year originally on a travel with about 25 other travellers to Banner Good Sam, who uses 1000s of travelers. One of the tele nurses I was in orientation with was with American Mobile, and had been for 5 years solid. Good Sam is in the habit of hiring loads of travelers then finding stupid reasons to cancel their contract (the government told them they have to hire so many American nurses before they can bring in the cheaper Filipinos). Out of the 26 travellers that started, 18 were cut within 6 weeks, myself and the American Mobile nurse included. When she tried to get another assignment, Amer. Mobile told her to CALL BACK NEXT YEAR because they couldn't use her for that long due to Good Sam's contract cancellation.
What was her contract cancelled for, you ask?
Not reporting to an Ultrasound tech the patient's diagnosis (as if they need that). The US tech wrote her up and she was out the door without a 2nd glance. They didn't even counsel or anything, just cancelled her contract (& apparently they do so much business w/Amer Mobile that the company wasn't willing to re-use this nurse whom had never had a bad report or black mark in 5 years).

If you're going to travel, here's a good thing to stipulate in the contract - your housing. If, by some chance, something goes wrong and the contract gets cancelled - the agency has the right to THROW YOU OUT ON THE STREET IN 48 HOURS. Believe me, I had it happen with Aureus Nursing (I call them STAPH AUREUS - Avoid them like the plague). Put it in the contract that no matter what, that housing is yours for the length of the contract. Then at least, if something bad happens, you have a place to stay for 3 months. I had 48 hours to repack 3 months worth of stuff, get out AND find another place to stay. Luckily, the complex they'd put me up in had a 3rd floor 1-BR available or I'd've been homeless. When I couldn't get the keys to the manager until Monday (they told me to get out over a weekend) because they were closed, the agency took my pay for the week of orientation, saying I owed them that for 1 weeks rent at the place I was staying! I got one check from that agency for $0.00 - every dime was taken back for taxes or agency "costs" due to my not relocating in a timely manner!
I personally don't travel anymore. I just move somewhere and get a job. At least as staff, places are willing to fix stuff they see as wrong with you!
Angela

Staph Aureus, I like that. Laughing

I had the same think happen with a contract with National Healthcare Staffing/Nursefinders. The reason given was that I mispelled my name-I kinda think I know how to spell my own name better than they do! I went on to find another company right away and started within a week after being dumped by NHS. I have also learned to line up local agency work before I get to my travel assignment, in case it ever happens again.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » New to travel nursing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 12:43:01